Cold-start issues...

CookeD

Reaction score
Fellas,

Rather than replacing my 32/36's, I'm trying to work with them and get them as close to right as I can, and then make the decision as to if they should stay or go. I have one problem that I cannot seem to solve...

Here is what's happening: At cold-start, the car runs badly, and won't idle on it's own. I know the chokes are probably suspect; I'm going to go back through them again this weekend. So, after initial startup, I can hold the car at around 1500 via the throttle with occasional stumbles and misfires, and once the engine builds temperature, it's like s switch is thrown; the revs will jump by 300 or so, and then I can let off the throttle and the car will idle down to normal and sit and run perfectly on it's own, nice and smooth as it should be without misfires, etc... I can turn the car off, let it sit for as long as there's temperature in the engine, and it starts right back up, idles down to normal and runs great, as it should. Also, as long as there's temperature in the engine, there aren't any carb issues once out on the road. So, I've narrowed it down to cold-starts and the choke circuit, but I'm stuck there.

Any ideas on what I'm missing and/or how I can successfully troubleshoot the choke/cold-start circuit that may cause this behavior? Any help is much appreciated.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Cold Start Issues

Before anything else check your fuse on the Electric Chokes circut. 99% of the issues I have and that plague any older car are electrical.

Assuming it starts fine - that your chokes set with the throttle linkage - have someone start the car with the engine cold and see if one or both chokes release before the engine warms. If both release then the problem is likely electrical. If one releases but not the other then possibly mechanical or the electrical choke itself needs replacing.

Good luck.