Cool Hotrod CS w an S54 in Australia

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
Too funny, just read that article and was going to share it too. Nice looking build. Wish there were undercarriage shots to see how it all worked out. ;)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Honolulu

Reaction score
After all that work he left the steering wheel on the wrong side and didn't take the spacers out of the front struts. We coulda told him all that...

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice car but for that money I'd rather a CSL project or something equally classy from the same period. But that's just me.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
If the car has been done properly that price is not over the moon. I know from experience.

The builder made the front subframe to support the upgraded brakes and s54. I'd like to see that work and also how it drives. If it all works right, it's definitely worth that to the right person...

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
If the car has been done properly that price is not over the moon. I know from experience.

I'm sure he could have put $200k+ into the resto-mod, that's no problem, the problem will be finding a buyer who's willing to drop that kind of money on a resto-mod 2800 CSA.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is a stunner, and I'd also like to see the subframes and suspension. Seems a large % of time/expense went into adapting for the S54, but the HP levels were consistent with some M30-family engine builds we've seen. Does the S54 have benefits over a more conventional M30 hot-rod or S38 to make sense on the juice-squeeze axis? Real question. I don't know.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is a stunner, and I'd also like to see the subframes and suspension. Seems a large % of time/expense went into adapting for the S54, but the HP levels were consistent with some M30-family engine builds we've seen. Does the S54 have benefits over a more conventional M30 hot-rod or S38 to make sense on the juice-squeeze axis? Real question. I don't know.

Yes, you'd think the same formula that Singer uses would apply here. Period correct hotrod motor taken to the nth degree with stunning details. I do like the chassis stiffening efforts and the 535 rear subframe and brakes. I'd love to get some detailed pics on a lift..

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
From my own research he would need to do more than just stitch weld the seams in order to cope with that much power. Racing E9s have a roll cage which aids body rigidity far more than anything we can to these cars. I've stitch welded mine, added gussets and braces, front and rear strut bars, more diff' reinforcement than the usual plus a diff' / boot reinforcement plate and when the car is fully together I will explore other areas for adding bracing.

$290,000.....hmmm. Maybe he's trying to recover all the time he put into what is after all is a project car. Were I to do that I'd want $290,00 for my E9 as well but in reality I will never financially recover my cost in time spent.
I do applaud what he has done; a lot of engineering skill and tech has gone into the car. An Aussie Paul Cain?

Last edited:

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the S54 but I think the S38 is a better fit for more of a period correct look. I really like the power of my S38 and find that I hardly ever run hard to justify all the additional body welding and supports. I do have front and rear bracing as well as the rear diff mount additional bracing, but other than that I believe the E9 chassis is fine for daily driving with that power.

Attachments

• 20191020_155225.jpg
    20191020_155225.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 182

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the S54 but I think the S38 is a better fit for more of a period correct look. I really like the power of my S38 and find that I hardly ever run hard to justify all the additional body welding and supports. I do have front and rear bracing as well as the rear diff mount additional bracing, but other than that I believe the E9 chassis is fine for daily driving with that power.

Wow! That engine bay!

For my coupe the body stiffening is not so much for any extra power from my B35 conversion as for a feeling of structural rigidity.
I'm aiming for a Mercedes like feeling of solidity and quietness. I have dynamat everywhere, double skinned in places like the doors for that "thunk" sound when you close them. I want it to not only look classy but feel and sound classy.

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wish I done that now, but a complete strip down just isn't in the cards. I do like the raw sound of the 6 cyl wailing in my ear though.