Cool story about my co-worker (car related)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
A friend at work owned a '64 Buick Riviera that was his grandfathers, the original owner. When his kids were born about 17-18 years ago he sold it. He regretted it right away but didn't have the money and moved on. He checked craigslist periodically to see if it ever came up, plus he just liked Rivieras and thought he might get another one some day. Yesterday while sitting at his desk we hear, "Holy shit! My car!". We laughed and thought he as talking about a McLaren at auction or something but he had found his grandfathers car being sold about an hour from us. He immediately called the owner and told him all about it and that he'd been looking for it for years. They had a good conversation and ended up agreeing on a price. He's picking it up after Christmas.

He said he still has the plaque with his grandfather's name on it as the new proud owner in 1964! Very cool.

00H0H_7gQURSd5BAC_1200x900.jpg

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wonderful to hear; one of my favorites too...truly a classic; I still have my Corgi 43rd scale gold one that my grandmother gave me about 52 years ago...head and tail lights "worked" thru the miracle of daylight and clear plastic tubes...

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Too cool! a friend just offered me a 66 for 7500. supposedly restored?? Not my type of ride and too many cars already!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The American BMW coupe. My favourite Uncle had a Gold one.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I too liked that car a lot. I had an HO 1/87th scale electric version that I painted green that I used to race around my track when I was a kid.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Aaaaaaah crap. My co-worker was going to take today off and go check out the car but got a text from the owner last night saying that he changed his mind and wants to keep the car now. That sucks. He stopped the ad and told him he'd keep my friend's number and he'd be the first one he calls if he decides to sell. The guy selling the car got it and a few others from a relative who just passed away so his story is consistent and we can see that he's not sure what to do. Still a bummer...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh, that is an unfortunate holiday surprise (or any time of year). Agree with the above - perhaps reiterating the story that your friend's grandfather was the original owner will help the seller/owner come to realize that the car belongs with your friend. He needs to "bring it home". Best of luck!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting some friends together and roughing up the guy but I guess your way would be better. ;)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice!

Y'all gotta see that old Patrick Swayze movie "Roadhouse" and see what they did to that poor '65 (my favorite year) Riv.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
The seller needs to let this car go to a good home where it will be loved. Clearly it has been neglected. Sympathies to the attempted buyer.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was excited and devastated all in one thread. If the '65 Riviera Gran Sport came as a 5-speed standard, I'd be all over it.

May relentless persistence make that car return to its rightful heir.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was excited and devastated all in one thread. If the '65 Riviera Gran Sport came as a 5-speed standard, I'd be all over it.

May relentless persistence make that car return to its rightful heir.
Stopping around every month or two is a good way of wearing the seller down. We did that with our 75 CSi Barn Find. It took over a year. And we eventually got the car for $600 + towing when we had at some point offered $1,000.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an update to this story guys... My co-worker got a call from the owner of the Riviera and he's ready to sell again. He went through the car and got it roadworthy, did the brakes, fuel system, yada yada, and wants more than he agreed on before. It's a little out of my friends budget but we all "pressured" him into getting it. He drove it home over the weekend and said it drives great! Here's the part that makes you think it was meant to be... he starts looking on eBay for Riviera parts and finds a guy in Sacramento (20 minutes from us) that's one of the bigger guys in the US for Riviera parts only. He calls him and the guy says he's actually in Roseville! What? Turns out the guy is within walking distance of our work and has all the parts he needs to get the car back to stock, mostly interior stuff.

Cool deal!