Copart fakery

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I see it daily. I only watched to first two, both "UFI" seller. Once I determine they sell staged vehicles I pass right by all of them in the future. Typically I only buy from the major insurance sellers but some of thet don't have their names listed so it HAS to be a salvage cert with no history found online. Still risky every day.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think my dream car would be a hail ravaged Cayman S. (Any tips Dang?) I would just drive it that way. I'm very tired of driving a precious object. My current Subaru Turbo Forester is great because it it can be treated harshly. Fluids are good, alignment is spot on, but there are more scars by the day.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you can't go wrong with a cayman s ... either the 987.c1 (2006 - 2008) or c2 (2009 - 2012). not a fan of the 981 or the newer version with the 4 cylinder turbo (2014 to current). the c1 has 295 hp and the c2 has 320 hp. avoid the steptronic tranny at all costs, it robs power from the engine (c1). the 6 speed or the 7 speed pdk (c2) are phenomenal.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well Hail damaged 320 Hp it is!! I'd probably end up buying a fake hail damaged one.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the beauty of the cayman s engine is that they solved the design of the intermediate shaft bearing by the time the cayman s was produced. even better bearing in the c2. the difference in HP comes from the direct injection as its basically the same engine 3.4L

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
https://www.copart.com/lot/27055008

fae97194-6981-4b5a-a3d9-9b0b33321662.JPG

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can't figure out why the first one is salvage?

It's hard to know for sure without seeing it in person but you have to remember that if the muffler gets scraped they replace it with new ($$$$?), other suspension parts, pan damage, small crease is the floor pan, wheels, body and paint, super high hourly rates, picky owners, sometimes the insurance companies total them to shorten the claim lifetime and possible additional expenses. Cut checks, send the car to auction, move on. I see it all the time.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Once you get access, which requires some kind of membership or paid guest pass, you can hear the car run and if it's marked "Runs and Drives" you're allowed to move the car forward and backwards a few feet. You can probably plug in a code reader but anything more than that isn't allowed as far as mechanical diagnostics. If you're a mechanical guy you get a pretty good idea of what you're buying if you can be there in person. A combination of factors and common sense drives the decisions...

I've heard that you can pay for a third-party inspection at some yards, which is an independent inspector that provides a report for a fee.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems fair enough, does Copart completely dominate auto salvage retailing in the US or are there many similar businesses?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my guess is that the hit in the back upset the engine compartment - which would have disturbed both sides of the exhaust ... and those are tied in with the catalytic converters due to the small space and are very expensive. it could have also bent the engine mounting and since the transaxle is part of the transmission ... that could impact axle alignment

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Copart and IAA are the two biggest. Like most industries, they have consolidated other auctions into just a few. Copart and IAA also run almost all of the vehicle donation programs in the U.S. so not only do insurance cars go to them but most donation vehicles.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
my guess is that the hit in the back upset the engine compartment - which would have disturbed both sides of the exhaust ... and those are tied in with the catalytic converters due to the small space and are very expensive. it could have also bent the engine mounting and since the transaxle is part of the transmission ... that could impact axle alignment

The key word you used "could have". When you're a body shop that has to warranty it's work and an insurance company that has to keep a customer happy, sorry, deal with a customer, the "might be's" turn into a line item with a cost. The '01 M3 that I repaired for myself had an $8k repair sheet written up on it. I fixed the car for around $400, not including my time.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
really good point Dan ... that's why if my cars get hit, i take them to a guy who is really good at dealing with insurance companies. they tell him they will only pay for aftermarket or used parts. he tells them he won't use them because they always require too much of his time to make them fit correctly. only new factory parts.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Copart just announced that they will offer low financing rates to buyers who purchase vehicles at their sales, fix them and rerun them at the auction. My job just got harder. We already try to check histories but this means that more and more repaired vehicles will be sold with Salvage Certificates, looking like insurance vehicles. It pollutes their inventory but the 'ol mighty dollar wins out every time...