• Tapatalk is being removed immediately. There are security issues and there is no justification for having it anymore. I apolgize to those die-hard Tapatalk users but you'll need to start using the forums mobile version instead.

Coronaviris (COVID19): Today 02/27/20 will be the US game changer.

Markos

Parts Hoarder
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's worth to mention that the Swedish economy isn't exactly going like a freight train through this pandemic, it will take a big hit but they might be a little better off than other countries in the end.
I fully expect the US news cycle next month:

“Despite opening, small business revenue still falling short”.

You can open up the economy, but that doesn’t mean that people will flock to participate. I won’t be eating in any restaurants on-premise, and I sure-AF won’t be going to any movie theaters. What the media hasn’t mentioned is that no self-respecting film studio will release a major blockbuster during a pandemic. Who wants to subject themselves to a covid-19 hotbox to watch B films?

I’ve been quite honest with myself regarding my online retail and box store habits. Nothing to be proud of, but the only non-food-related small businesses that I frequent are open already as essential services. All of them. The only exceptions that I have come up with are my wife’s stylist, and my children’s instructors (which now have online offerings). It would be hypocritical of me to make a rally cry for the small business, although I wish for them to succeed. I will adjust my existing lifestyle to intentionally shop at some small non-essential shops in my hometown that I truly wish to support. I buy a lot of crap from Costco, and Amazon, and Home Depot. I’ll admit that I am “that type of consumer”. If I can find stuff locally that will keep businesses afloat, I will certainly try. My outlook is bleak for price-minded citizens who have already suffered their own financial blows.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
alliances? how feudal but effective. The “trans-Tasman bubble” is coming!

“On the upside, Australia could experience a better than expected containment and recovery. This could be further boosted by a potential twinning of Australia’s economy with New Zealand, which has experienced similar success in controlling the outbreak. The establishment of a “trans-Tasman bubble” which might experience more relaxed movement of people and activity could result in a stronger and and earlier recovery for both economies.”
Interesting comment Don. New Zealand the seventh state? Hmm, in many ways it already is. Do you think this could be transposed to other countries, states, regions. Say a Montana - Wyoming - Nebraska - Nth and Sth Dakota alliance with unrestricted travel and commerce between them. They could call it the big hat zone.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I should compliment Texans on the size of their hats then?

Controls being eased here but lots of discussion over is it too early, too risky, etc. On the road I see an awful lot of people on "essential" trips.

Stan

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So I should compliment Texans on the size of their hats then?

Controls being eased here but lots of discussion over is it too early, too risky, etc. On the road I see an awful lot of people on "essential" trips.
As long as they go for a long drive and end up back at home, no worries ;)

JayWltrs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting comment Don. New Zealand the seventh state? Hmm, in many ways it already is. Do you think this could be transposed to other countries, states, regions. Say a Montana - Wyoming - Nebraska - Nth and Sth Dakota alliance with unrestricted travel and commerce between them. They could call it the big hat zone.
I looked at living in New Zealand a number of years ago--they had some minimum "liquid" asset requirement that was surprisingly high. My cousin & her husband worked on the Lord of the Rings movies, and they would have stayed but for that requirement. Maybe I should look it up again...

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Jay, if you move to Unzud as we call it you will be moving to Australia as well so it's a two for one. South Island is spectacular.

Lots of billionaire types setting up bolt holes there thinking it will be a haven if the world implodes.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
As long as they go for a long drive and end up back at home, no worries ;)
Once of our "allowances" now is 50 klms drives for leisure so in theory I can drive all over the place inside of 50 klms from home, though we can still be fined for being outside that zone. Hmmm, okay then, so I could drive hundreds of klms inside the 50 but can't drive 55 klms to see my friends?
The more we see zero new cases the more people will insist on getting back to some type of normality.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
China is very unhappy with Australia in leading the push for an investigation into the virus - how and why it started and what the Chinese government response was to it, especially at the beginning of the outbreak. China is now being the bully using economic threats to get us to back away from calls for an investigation. Isn't it just so typical of that government to simply threaten others when they don't get their way? It would dismay me to see them get away with what they have caused to the world simply because of their power.

Personally I would like to see Australia begin a strategic withdrawal from our reliance on trade with China. We used to produce world class goods here with, at one time, having a manufacturing base that was 40% of GDP. Now it is 6%. All of those skills and jobs have gone. So we bring in Chinese manufactured goods and it is rubbish.

That's something that gets me about the virus - If it was made in China how come it's lasting so long?

Last edited:

bfeng

Site Donor
Reaction score
Honestly, it took longer than I expected. Property crime in my township and now my neighborhood is now on the rise.

It is a little easier these days to stay informed. I’m on a facebook group for my town (what a sh*t-show that is!). I’m also on about a one-block email distribution group. Fortunately all ring doorbell users get notified of break-in attempts and “porch pirates” stealing boxes. Videos are shared with neighbors and police. I don’t have a ring doorbell but have been reading the chatter.

Most home break-ins happen during the day, but that is changing since everyone is home. This morning, someone tried to break into a garage in my area. I cleaned out my kids mess and pulled the car in last night. The garage opener on my honda works on general power and not ignition power (most cars have this terrible design flaw IMO). I pulled the car in and plan to deprogram the opener.

My wife and I anticipated this also and prepared a little, bit not quite as much as other aspects of this shut down. Today I will increase the LED brightness on my cameras so they are more visible to people entering my property. It will take me longer to have better phone alerting etc when their is motion. I don’t usually have that stuff enabled. I also changed the timer on my porch light to stay on all night.
Almost warm
Lots of billionaire types setting up bolt holes there thinking it will be a haven if the world implodes.
you mean a merit based immigration policy? Like Canada? Liberals In the USA would call that an inhumane policy.