• Tapatalk is being removed immediately. There are security issues and there is no justification for having it anymore. I apolgize to those die-hard Tapatalk users but you'll need to start using the forums mobile version instead.

Coronaviris (COVID19): Today 02/27/20 will be the US game changer.

bfeng

Site Donor
Reaction score
A smart govt would ealstablish ties with countries close to where seasonal viruses emerge ( China). Example -Taiwan, semiautonomous Hong Kong, Singapore. These counties all check on emerging China viruses every fall, and then plan their response proactively. A lot better than denying there is a problem until It’s too late to react well.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
You all realise that any anti Chinese commentary will be reported to the committee. In the new order your assets will be seized and you will all be relegated to street sweepers as contributors to the 100% employment rate statistics. But not me, I'm a special agent who's role it is to draw you into revealing yourselves. Even this statement is a trick.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
You all realise that any anti Chinese commentary will be reported to the committee. In the new order your assets will be seized and you will all be relegated to street sweepers as contributors to the 100% employment rate statistics. But not me, I'm a special agent who's role it is to draw you into revealing yourselves. Even this statement is a trick.
1588380798738.png

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've just finished reading Daniel Ellsberg's The Doomsday Machine and he mentions a few presidents in the book with special reference to Nixon and his doubtful sanity. Nixon himself suggested propagating the notion to the Ruskies that he was nuts enough to push the button and unleash enough nuclear fury to destroy the world.

Now we have a leader of a certain country, ( I may have to be careful here ), unleashing a pandemic. Okay it won't destroy the world but what else are they cooking up in that lab?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fun and games here in Oz, as elsewhere on the planet, which is looking smaller than usual. ( Covid19 has really brought us all together don't you think? ) Praise be to the curve, all bow, we can now congregate in larger numbers, play golf in groups of four, ( gasp, things really are looking up ), soon go to restaurants and bars, travel up to 150 klms for, well, no particular reason, and various other relinquishments of control. . Such freedom! 20 active cases in this state of Queensland and it is still on a high threat alert. C'mon, this is ridiculous, let's test the waters on this. There will be further pandemics and we simply can't afford, in all kinds of ways, to reenact the current scenario.

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
We are seeing the advent of bubbles. Areas, countries, regions, etc, that have assumed a zone of isolated safety from at risk zones. So here in Australia ( OZ ) and New Zealand ( NZ ), ( our new 7th state ), we have the Tasmanian ( Tas ) bubble and the separate NZ bubble. There's talk of NZ and OZ creating a trans Tasman joint country bubble. Tasmania is talking about opening their bubble to low risk states such as South Australia ( SA ) and Western Australia ( yes, WA ) to create a multi state bubble excluding the at risk states, Queensland ( Qld ), New South Wales ( NSW ) and Victoria ( Vic ).
This strategy introduces a degree of bubble complexity that has some inherent flaws. So what if SA admits the Northern Territory ( NT ) into their bubble? We now have a cross over of bubbles with Tas not originally admitting NT. And what if NZ and WA form their own WANZ bubble? An alliance Tas didn't think of first.

I can see an imminent explosion of bubble politics.

Last edited:

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
We are seeing the advent of bubbles. Areas, countries, regions, etc, that have assumed a zone of isolated safety from at risk zones. So here in Australia ( OZ ) and New Zealand ( NZ ), ( our new 7th state ), we have the Tasmanian ( Tas ) bubble and the separate NZ bubble. There's talk of NZ and OZ creating a trans Tasman joint country bubble. Tasmania is talking about opening their bubble to low risk states such as South Australia ( SA ) and Western Australia ( yes, WA ) to create a multi state bubble excluding the at risk states, Queensland ( Qld ), New South Wales ( NSW ) and Victoria ( Vic ).
This strategy introduces a degree of bubble complexity that has some inherent flaws. So what if SA admits the Northern Territory ( NT ) into their bubble? We now have a cross over of bubbles with Tas not originally admitting NT. And what if NZ and WA form their own WANZ bubble? An alliance Tas didn't think of first.

I can see an imminent explosion of bubble politics.
Certainly this post is made with a sense of humor!
They have been trying to make us live in some pseudo sterile world for quite some time.
Not long ago they didn’t like plastic straws and now they love plastic gloves!

Attachments

Reaction score
I had an interesting observation the other day. At the grocery store I saw cashiers constantly handling their masks while packing my bags. During my humble observation, I concluded that my preference would be for the worker to not be wearing a mask since they would clearly be spreading pathogens from their contaminated hands. Masks (use of) is a good example of a policy that has been implemented without proper forethought. Can one imagine the petri dish that will occur in schools if teachers as well as students are forced to use them? I use this example because kids (like the general public) would need extensive training before using the protective device. Ever watched a kid? Masks on children will resemble keeping your tongue out of a cavity in a tooth.

Markos

Parts Hoarder
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Masks (use of) is a good example of a policy that has been implemented without proper forethought.
It’s not a policy issue. Like all things COVID related, it is mostly a human behavior issue. Agreed that children touch their masks. They also touch their eyes, nose, and mouth with no mask on. I have two small kids and I have been on them for that long before COVID. So if I had to chose between a kid handling their mask and sticking their finger in their nose, I would vote for the mask.

Kids are kids but most adults are absolutely disgusting. I was at the airport in February, right at the point where we would have gotten dirty looks for wearing a mask in the airport. I saw food workers not washing their hands in the restroom, and a guy eating beef jerky (out of the bag) while at the urinal. People suck.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw a guy let his toddler crawl around on the floor at an airport right outside the men's room. I'm pretty sure he just didn't even think about where his kid was crawling. That kid's going to develop some powerful immunity -hopefully to his father.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Covid19 related but on the political side, which is looking increasingly dangerous - Australia is being punished by China by restricting and banning the import of Australian goods into China, mainly because of our request for an investigation into the origins of the virus. We have a trade agreement but China insists Australia has breached the agreement with improperly labelled goods. Apparently an i wasn't dotted!
It seems to me that given China's assertions that the virus originated with the US military or US athletes or it was planted in Wuhan or.... whatever, they would support an investigation that would prove their claims.
Australia is being openly labelled in unprecedented ( there's that word again ) language - "a giant kangaroo that is the dog of the USA". Seems like a mixed analogy to me but who am I to the wise official issuing that statement?
It always amazes me that the powerful are so afraid of the truth harming them. That's weakness, not strength. To admit you are wrong, to accept your fallibility as humans and to take responsibility - that's strength, that's nobility.

So how is it stateside regarding China. Are you afraid, concerned, apathetic?

Regards,
Running dog.

Last edited:

Markos

Parts Hoarder
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well it has been four months since I started this thread. Coronavirus has been a part of life and no longer worth discussing. How is everyone holding up?

I’ll be WFH through 2021. My kids have the option to go back to school every other day. We will be electing to keep them at home. We just started
to do a few social distant gatherings (camping recently). That has had to stop while things spike a little in WA (not anything like the south or CA). The divide on mask usage cross cuts all political boundaries. I have a lot of friends who chose not to wear them camping, but were distant. For the most part, no kids wearing them which seems counterproductive in my book.

When I was a kid I had Chicken Pox. That was two weeks of playing with my neighbor friend. My kids will have not seen friends or family for about 18 months when this is through. It is something that they will remember for the rest of their life. We have certainly had to adjust. It’s tough to find things to do to entertain two young kiddos.