Coronaviris (COVID19): Today 02/27/20 will be the US game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Think all we can concur at this time is that many are investigating all sorts of treatments trying to find something that works. All we can say at this point is at least they are investigating vs doing nothing. Hope someone figures something out.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess that it all sadly reminds me of folks watching TikTok to find a better way to make a grilled cheese sandwich...Sort of where we are culturally and intellectually in this country. Sorry, I used two college words in one sentence.
Bread in toaster, remove and place two slices of cheese in between, place on plate and in microwave for 8 seconds. Remove from microwave, put jelly or Mayo on it as to your liking and enjoy.
lololololol

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I come to this forum for the exceptional knowledge many individuals on this web page possesses and the greater power of the collective brain. I arrived some months ago and remain largely ignorant of the knowledge. I do my homework as much as I can and try hard to listen and learn diligently. I would never attempt to offer opinions in this forum about things I know so little about. Unfortunately, we are suffering from a culture where there is a poor correlation between one’s actual understanding of the subject and what we believe is our understanding. Most of us are students of the subject. We should be listening closely to the statisticians, the virologists, the epidemiologist and the Editors of Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine (the manual for not the E3 but the human body). What is catastrophically broken is our appreciation of knowledge.

The NIH has a statement on Invermectin that clarifies their position and makes sense of the journal‘s rejecting the article. As best as I can understand it.

TodB

Reaction score
I come to this forum for the exceptional knowledge many individuals on this web page possesses and the greater power of the collective brain. I arrived some months ago and remain largely ignorant of the knowledge. I do my homework as much as I can and try hard to listen and learn diligently. I would never attempt to offer opinions in this forum about things I know so little about. Unfortunately, we are suffering from a culture where there is a poor correlation between one’s actual understanding of the subject and what we believe is our understanding. Most of us are students of the subject. We should be listening closely to the statisticians, the virologists, the epidemiologist and the Editors of Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine (the manual for not the E3 but the human body). What is catastrophically broken is our appreciation of knowledge.

The NIH has a statement on Invermectin that clarifies their position and makes sense of the journal‘s rejecting the article. As best as I can understand it.
Well said.

Sadly, the folks who should be taking this advice don’t respond well to logic especially if it’s against their current beliefs. They write off different viewpoints as “fake news” or “it’s put out by the government so it can’t be trusted”. Subject matter experts be damned. And they will search out and “quote” plenty of other fledgling sources, whether they be religious, self proclaimed “experts”, certain senators from Kentucky or just bubba down at the feed store who will support their ill found conclusions giving them the comfort to state them as fact to their friends. Playing (to) the victim is huge. I actually know someone, someone I actually like, who will not take the vaccine due to chip bill gates put in it.

For some, losing close relatives to the virus, sometimes plural, doesn’t seem to change their mind. There was a guy the next town over who lost his unvaccinated wife to COVID but was able to make it to an anti vax event the next day. Hard to change that mindset. It’s really been an incredible run of events and I fear it’s only going to get worse even beyond COVID.

To the 02…

JMinNJ

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Well said. In other words:
19ABBE70-EB7F-4413-8944-2307E595565C.jpeg

Markos

Conspirator
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Subject matter experts be damned. And they will search out and “quote” plenty of other fledgling sources, whether they be religious, self proclaimed “experts”, certain senators from Kentucky or just bubba down at the feed store who will support their ill found conclusions giving them the comfort to state them as fact to their friends.

While I agree, your stereotype of “Bubba at the feed store” is an oversimplification. Ignorance and education do not always go hand in hand. The husband of my wife’s best friend hasn’t vaccinated. Her best friend is a microbiologist and her husband is literally a rocket scientist. He has chosen not to vaccinate, mainly due to political reasons. She vaccinated as soon as it was available, although currently at-home mom.

It blows our mind that as the primary bread winner for the family, he places his political beliefs over the well being of his family. I anticipate that he will have COVID before December, as will their children.

Alternatively, he is such a pompous ass that he already vaccinated and won’t admit it.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
While I agree, your stereotype of “Bubba at the feed store” is an oversimplification. Ignorance and education do not always go hand in hand. The husband of my wife’s best friend hasn’t vaccinated. Her best friend is a microbiologist and her husband is literally a rocket scientist. He has chosen not to vaccinate, mainly due to political reasons. She vaccinated as soon as it was available, although currently at-home mom.

It blows our mind that as the primary bread winner for the family, he places his political beliefs over the well being of his family. I anticipate that he will have COVID before December, as will their children.

Alternatively, he is such a pompous ass that he already vaccinated and won’t admit it.
It is tough, because anti vaxxers are literally willing to DIE to defend their beliefs. Hard to overcome.
@Mot27cars, if it were July 2020, I would truly ivermectin, because at that point we had nothing. Now we have the Regeneron and other monoclonal antibodies that are proven to improve COVID with rigorous studies.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sadly, the folks who should be taking this advice don’t respond well to logic
I think there is an element of people not liking being told they are dumb when they have doubts about getting vaccinated.

The more smart people tell them to do something, the more they are going to resist advice because it makes them feel dumb. This might be a case where reverse psychology would work better than the straight ahead approach.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think there is an element of people not liking being told they are dumb when they have doubts about getting vaccinated.

The more smart people tell them to do something, the more they are going to resist advice because it makes them feel dumb. This might be a case where reverse psychology would work better than the straight ahead approach.
So incredibly true.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, quoting Asimov. Now this thread has jumped in esteem. "Cults of ignorance" exist everywhere. However, and far be it for me to counter the great Isaac; I'm not always so quick to point a finger as people often have reasons to feel and think in certain ways that aren't considered by me, in my ignorance. And the older I get the more I see just how complex and fragile and yet at the same time simple and robust sapiens is.

Do we want to get to the day, possibly soon, when we will be saying not "what would Jesus do" or "what does Science prove" but "what does AI say" in order to resolve our conflicts? Like Deep Thought in Hitchhikers.

TodB

Reaction score

Agreed. It’s similar to stuffy, know-it-all coastal people who perceive southerners as dumb because they talk slow. Clever southerners know this of course, and play it to their advantage. It’s fun to watch them in action frustrating the crap out of pushy coasties.

There are lots of different perspectives. It’s the fringe beliefs on both sides holding the rest of us hostage that drive me nuts.

And just because you’re smart doesn’t always mean you’re right.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score

"I would never attempt to offer opinions in this forum about things I know so little about."
Well I'm interested in your opinion, ( hopefully without prejudice ), whether you understand the issues or not as it forms a basis for discussion. Isn't this a forum?

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
LOL. Fish is on the line but hopefully not going in the boat. This is a forum indeed. My thoughts were to be part of the discussion. But I do think IA was leading into where AI will get us.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
High schools should be teaching Critical Thinking and Reading101. Require it sophomore year and the next three years. Disguise it in courses like Logic, Ethics, Epistemology and Philosophy of Knowledge. Required. Can't graduate without passing them. It is a start. No idea how to deal with the blockheads described in the posts above.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
High schools should be teaching Critical Thinking and Reading101. Require it sophomore year and the next three years. Disguise it in courses like Logic, Ethics, Epistemology and Philosophy of Knowledge. Required. Can't graduate without passing them. It is a start. No idea how to deal with the blockheads described in the posts above.
Yep big difference between knowledge and wisdom.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dramatic uptake in vaccination in hitherto vacc' reluctant hotspots here. Some areas now with an 85% rate of first jabs.

I don't know if this has been mentioned previously by anyone - A strategy I planned for my wife and I is that one of us went with AZ and one with Pfizer in case there are issues with either vaccine. I have AZ.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
We all learned the basic scientific method in 8th grade, yet somewhere it seems to get lost and anecdotal experience rules. I go crazy when I think of how an N=1 causes so many people to draw steadfast conclusions.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
We all learned the basic scientific method in 8th grade, yet somewhere it seems to get lost and anecdotal experience rules. I go crazy when I think of how an N=1 causes so many people to draw steadfast conclusions.
Unfortunately, not so sure some of them went to 8th grade!

Arde

Reaction score
A strategy I planned for my wife and I is that one of us went with AZ and one with Pfizer in case there are issues with either vaccine. I have AZ.
If my wife took Pfizer and gave me AZ it means she read my life insurance policy...

Status
Not open for further replies.