Coronaviris (COVID19): Today 02/27/20 will be the US game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor
Reaction score
"I think it is safe to extrapolate that the dead here in our county are approximately 10:1 unvaccinated:vaccinated."

I wonder how many anti-vaxers / conspiracy theorists are gamblers? I mean the type of gambler who considers the odds, not the type of gambler hoping for blind luck.
A 10 : 1 ratio seems like a safe bet to take the vaccine. If you choose to ignore that very simple statistical fact then I have no sympathy for you.

It's baffling to me how someone can fervently adhere to a conspiracy theory, no matter how anecdotal and specious, yet is afraid of, or even violently antagonistic towards proven facts that are at odds with their thinking. Mistrustful uncertainty I get, but sheer pig-headed obstinate ignorance confounds me.
The following link is an article in the NYT "The Morning" that may explain Gazz' point more fully.

I believe it to be sound statistically, but I understand that it could be construed as political. If that is the case, I have no problem having my post deleted.

sfdon

Site Donor
Reaction score
“Bribery: I also haven’t seen this before, but I think it’s because corporations normally assume everyone is using the government laws @ the 2 headquarters as the default boundaries. doing it this way is better in that it assumes less by being a bit more explicit. Perhaps it reflects the state of industrial collaboration in Israel?”

The FCPA is huge now. Do not underestimate it.
They have collected billions of dollars lately.
Between Sarbanes-Oxley and FCPA they have cast a relentless net.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor
Reaction score
Holy business geek Batman - I open up the car forum after a couple of days and the discussion has turned to the FCPA and the Delaware Chancery Court.

John - I suspect that the bribery and corruption language was incorporated because in cross-border pharma contracts testing is often done in populations with a wide range of genetic characteristics, and thus may be potentially done in jurisdications where bribery and corruption are accepted ways of doing business. In other words, this is not likely a reflection on how Israel operates.

Markos

Conspirator
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI - two very different posts with political ties. Nothing lock/delete worthy.

Agreed. Tesla is a Delaware Corporation, does that make Delaware a leader in the electric car and clean energy revolution? No.
Tesla makes more than 500.000 cars a year, are any of them made in Delaware? No.
Does any of the 31.5 B$ of Tesla revenue go through Delaware? No.

I understand the reasons. Not being political here but the claims by the President about Delaware's role in corporate America are weird. Many people get married in Vegas, arguing that Vegas is the foundation of the American family would be equally weird.

Great points and an interesting discussion.
I may have missed how this fully ties to COVID. It doesn’t sound like a conversation that we need to pursue in this thread. Agreed that comments were strange though.

The following link is an article in the NYT "The Morning" that may explain Gazz' point more fully.

I believe it to be sound statistically, but I understand that it could be construed as political. If that is the case, I have no problem having my post deleted.

This has political ties but is factual data directly applicable to COVID. No issues here. If we start hypothesizing about ways to close the vaccination gap it could get ugly. :D

TodB

Reaction score
How big brotherly of you. My post wasn’t meant to be partisan but more an observation on the power of social media to steer beliefs of some.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Whatever you do- don’t grow a goatee….

“people with goatees, an established cultural signifier for working-class conservatism. “Unvaccinated with a goatee like that... he didn’t stand a chance”

“At this point, I’m confident in saying I’ve done as much research on COVID Anti-vaxxers as anyone in the world. There’s one attribute that every single one of them share. They are all idiots.”

That’s a tweet by the anonymous proprietor of Sorryantivaxxer.com, posted on Sept 15. The website is indeed likely the most comprehensive repository of one type of now-familiar COVID story: the one where someone who criticized the vaccine ends up dead or hospitalized due to the virus (it’s a story news outlets like The Daily Beast have published). And these stories appear to have plenty of readers: According to the site’s own counters, each post earns views numbering in the tens of thousands and comments in the hundreds—respectable traffic numbers for an independent site.

First and last names, and faces of the deceased, are prominent on the site, as is editorializing from the proprietor, who is especially hard on people with goatees, an established cultural signifier for working-class conservatism. “Unvaccinated with a goatee like that... he didn’t stand a chance,” reads a post about one person who appears to have died on Sept. 21 and won’t be named here.

Arde

Reaction score
Great points and an interesting discussion.
I may have missed how this fully ties to COVID. It doesn’t sound like a conversation that we need to pursue in this thread. Agreed that comments were strange though.
Thanks Markos for the soft touch approach to policing.
My logic was to challenge the politization of Covid solutions by flashing some light on deceptive points politicians are making:
1) That the dominant Pfizer solution is the product of corporate America's innovation - Pfizer did not develop its vaccine, it is German. If anything Moderna is 100% American and government funded. That was a success story and works better.
2) That somehow being Pfizer a Delaware Corporation the President can position his state as having played a part in that or any other of corporate America's innovations.

and the obvious tie to Covid is what Scott pointed out, we should be emphasizing Moderna third shots!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My wife (75) and I (84) both received 3rd shot about 6 weeks ago. She has major immune issues due to medication for other problems, and I have minor ones. It had been 5 1/2 months since 2nd and just short of 7 since first (all Moderna). Primary concern for getting 3rd shot a bit early was we were headed for 3 weeks in Hawaii, and would spend about 11 hours on airplanes, as well as all islands (including Kauai where we were headed) were having significant upticks in cases over the summer. The slight arm soreness was a bit increased from the 1st 2 shots, but that was all.

Still careful about masks in doors on the trip, as everyone else was, I encourage anyone who has not been vaccinated to please confer with your primary medical provider.

Gary

sfdon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris-

just sign up online

let them know this is your first shot.

Attachments

• 1310D01A-3CCB-4DA6-90EA-23FC4AC4E4BB.png
    1310D01A-3CCB-4DA6-90EA-23FC4AC4E4BB.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 20

sfdon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Safeway….booster

Attachments

• 133BE135-A6BF-44D7-A879-F326EF1476E1.png
    133BE135-A6BF-44D7-A879-F326EF1476E1.png
    505.9 KB · Views: 16

Arde

Reaction score
Chris-

just sign up online

let them know this is your first shot.
And when it is being injected, retract your arm in pain so only a half dose goes in.

The proposed Moderna booster is half dose.

sfdon

Site Donor
Reaction score
But why 1/2 dose???
To stretch the supply.....

"Moderna says lower booster dose could free up a billion doses"​

Moderna (MRNA), meanwhile, is focused on halving its booster shot, from the current 100 microgram dose. The company submitted to the FDA an initial round of data to support the half dose this week. According to Moderna officials, the lower dosage has production benefits and could free up a billion doses a year.

"Some in the government are leaning toward authorizing the 100 microgram dose, the people said, because of concerns a lower-dose booster might not offer a durable enough boost to counter fast-changing variants of Covid-19."

Yeah- I'm getting the full shot.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

Made an appointment at CVS, went in the next day, told the pharmacist I had an appointment for a Moderna booster shot, 5 minutes later I was done and waiting for the 15 minutes to elapse. This appointment was on August 18th. My wife followed the same procedure, but one day before I did.

Gary

Arde

Reaction score
But why 1/2 dose???
To stretch the supply.....

"Moderna says lower booster dose could free up a billion doses"​

Moderna (MRNA), meanwhile, is focused on halving its booster shot, from the current 100 microgram dose. The company submitted to the FDA an initial round of data to support the half dose this week. According to Moderna officials, the lower dosage has production benefits and could free up a billion doses a year.

"Some in the government are leaning toward authorizing the 100 microgram dose, the people said, because of concerns a lower-dose booster might not offer a durable enough boost to counter fast-changing variants of Covid-19."

Yeah- I'm getting the full shot.

You are right. I like the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.