Coronaviris (COVID19): Today 02/27/20 will be the US game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
I’ve had five jabs- Pfizer, Pfizer, Pfizer Booster and then Moderna, Moderna.
28 flights this year mostly to texas and northern Idaho. Next trip is Mideast in a a few weeks. Everywhere I go is a hotbed of COVID infection. I’m not going down easy. Put up a fight- it’s important.

....do you glow in the dark ?

sfdon

Site Donor
Reaction score
I could be a beacon of light for the Northern Territory of Australia which has reported zero deaths from COVID. An amazing accomplishment.

We have 4 million cases and 70,000 deaths in our state of Texas.
Preliminary data shows 99.5% of COVID-related deaths in Texas were among unvaccinated people.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The unvaccinated will continue to die at an alarming rate. But sadly, not alarming enough to persuade the living unvaccinated to get the shot. It is tragic that people are willing to lose their jobs and health care because they are so terrified of a proven, life-saving vaccine.

Arde

Reaction score
The unvaccinated will continue to die at an alarming rate. But sadly, not alarming enough to persuade the living unvaccinated to get the shot. It is tragic that people are willing to lose their jobs and health care because they are so terrified of a proven, life-saving vaccine.
There is blame at the doorsteps of the people that politicized vaccines in the pursuit of power.
Listen starting at 11:34 and tell me I am wrong:

why would then other people listen to the new President's advice?

Markos

Conspirator
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is blame at the doorsteps of the people that politicized vaccines in the pursuit of power.
Listen starting at 11:34 and tell me I am wrong:
why would then other people listen to the new President's advice?

Disclaimer: Please report if you want this post and the previous removed. Both are based on fact but touch on politics in the context of health messaging.

People will think what they think. Nobody cares or remembers that statement. It was a one-time response to a single question, not a mantra beaten to death on twitter. Your observation is a tu quoque logical fallacy, in other words “whataboutism”

Context is important @Arde. That discussion took place before any vaccine was approved for emergency use. Leading up to that conversation, the administration wanted “the numbers” to go away by any means necessary. Harris said she will listen to the doctors, not the politicians, which was appropriate at the time as well as now.

Little data was published in October 2020 that showed the efficacy of the vaccine, and the side effects. Today, 3.77B people have been vaccinated and the vaccines have all been approved for adults, with child vaccinations imminent.

The video clip that you referenced says follow the science - conveyed by the experts. With respect to COVID, the current administration has never deviated from this strategy. Conversely, the past administration actively disputed the metrits of the scientific findings, timelines, and therapies.

• Gone by April
  • Gone by Summer
  • Hydroxy Chloroquine
  • Bleach
  • UV Lignt
  • Invermectin
Nearly all doctors worldwide, other than a few twitter crackpots are in favor of mass vaccination. How many more data points, and expert referrals do we need?

Ultimately, in the US there are the 40% vaccine deniers and slow adopters, plus the rest of the vaccinated population. Throw a mandate on top of vaccinations and those that value their job security more than their political ideals will snap into line. The remaining subset will be asking their family to pray for them.

COVID is here for life. It will become a part of life for those that are vaccinated. For the unvaccinated, it will remain a threat to life. All we can do is polish our Herman Cain awards in anticipation of a posthumous ceremony on Reddit.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am on our local city council. The residents of the town are 90 plus percent vaccinated, but the city workers were only about 55 percent vaccinated. We had many cases, quarantines of employees, shutdown of various departments for quarantine, and one employee missed six months of work due to COVID (all at taxpayer expense).

So, we offered a $500 incentive to get vaccinated, and now we are at over 80% vaccinated. So, it was just enough to nudge our employees to do the right (and smart) thing. So the hardcore vaccine deniers are certainly out here, but there are many who are just unsure, but persuadable.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just received my 3rd Moderna. When I arrived they asked if I was immunocompromised and I said yes, also that I am over 65. No other questions and one form to fill out. When the Pharmacist was filling the needle I asked if that was a half dose and she said it was full. She then said when it is approved for 65 plus it will be 1/2 dose. Clearly, it is still confusing out there for everyone including me.
Edit: I spoke with a Nurse I know (mid 50's) and she also received a full dose for the Moderna booster.

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just received my 3rd Moderna. When I arrived they asked if I was immunocompromised and I said yes, also that I am over 65. No other questions and one form to fill out. When the Pharmacist was filling the needle I asked if that was a half dose and she said it was full. She then said when it is approved for 65 plus it will be 1/2 dose. Clearly, it is still confusing out there for everyone including me.
I agree about the confusing part. Everything I read is that the approved Moderna booster is 1/2 dose. I'm due my Moderna booster now, but I think I'll wait a few weeks for the dust to settle. Communication, recommendations, instructions from the government (and other sources) started out terrible and has only progressed to "bad".

"The Moderna COVID-19 single booster dose is half of the dose that is administered for a primary series dose and is administered at least six months after completion of a primary series of the vaccine."

"Follow-up study of the heart problems suggests the cases are generally mild and symptoms resolve promptly, Talbot said. The Moderna shots tied to that risk were full doses, not the half-dose booster cleared by the FDA and recommended by the CDC panel. Safety data of the half-dose Moderna booster is limited, but the risks might be lower at that lower dose, Talbot said."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/10/21/cdc-moderna-jj-booster-recommendation/

Arde

Reaction score
Disclaimer: Please report if you want this post and the previous removed. Both are based on fact but touch on politics in the context of health messaging.

People will think what they think. Nobody cares or remembers that statement. It was a one-time response to a single question, not a mantra beaten to death on twitter. Your observation is a tu quoque logical fallacy, in other words “whataboutism”

Context is important @Arde. That discussion took place before any vaccine was approved for emergency use. Leading up to that conversation, the administration wanted “the numbers” to go away by any means necessary. Harris said she will listen to the doctors, not the politicians, which was appropriate at the time as well as now.

Little data was published in October 2020 that showed the efficacy of the vaccine, and the side effects. Today, 3.77B people have been vaccinated and the vaccines have all been approved for adults, with child vaccinations imminent.

The video clip that you referenced says follow the science - conveyed by the experts. With respect to COVID, the current administration has never deviated from this strategy. Conversely, the past administration actively disputed the metrits of the scientific findings, timelines, and therapies.

• Gone by April
  • Gone by Summer
  • Hydroxy Chloroquine
  • Bleach
  • UV Lignt
  • Invermectin
Nearly all doctors worldwide, other than a few twitter crackpots are in favor of mass vaccination. How many more data points, and expert referrals do we need?

Ultimately, in the US there are the 40% vaccine deniers and slow adopters, plus the rest of the vaccinated population. Throw a mandate on top of vaccinations and those that value their job security more than their political ideals will snap into line. The remaining subset will be asking their family to pray for them.

COVID is here for life. It will become a part of life for those that are vaccinated. For the unvaccinated, it will remain a threat to life. All we can do is polish our Herman Cain awards in anticipation of a posthumous ceremony on Reddit.

Thanks for the perspective Markos, let me emphasize I am disappointed by the polarization of the pandemic, and this happened in every country where the timing coincided with elections, not just the US. I am not siding with one party or another, it just happened that the non-incumbent used it early on at the onset and that is all the video is showing. I was looking at Presient's approval rates and the most striking phenomenon was how George W. Bush got a huge boost after the 9/11 attacks. I do not recall a politization of that event by any side, and that is great. Why is it that the country united in its response to such a tragedy that killed in the order of 3 thousand people and cost the economy about 1 Trillion dollars, and totally fragmented facing an event that killed that many every day at times, and will cost many Trillions?

Naively I expected a Kalama Harris that responded along the lines of: "I am behind the current President and the current administration in their efforts to use the best science, industry, private sector, and logistics we have in combating this disease and to the extent that I get elected I will try to improve all aspects of that endeavor given my bla bla track record".

What she said directly endorses any Trump supporters in saying I do not have to listen to Biden.

The two vaccines that lead the world in effectiveness were 99% the result of the previous administration's work, and people are so polarized that they cannot even admit or credit that. That should be a first sincere step to reduce polarization, just recognize that to unite people.

On the larger topic of censorship I was trembling when I posted and avoided checking this thread for a couple of days. Sadly Covid and politics are inseparable, if you want me I can just post about the weather and fluff, I am guided by the principle that a post is political when it crosses the line into advocacy and proselitism, and I hope I have not done that.

Arde

Reaction score
An angle that worried me early on is that I would rather take my chances with nature than experiment with viruses or diseases. When humans started with nuclear weapons some people got cancer, with nuclear energy there were plant accidents, with electricity people got electrocuted, with large radar antennas people got cancer, with blimps explosions, and so on. I am not a luddite but I want to minimize the number of such risky activities and maybe be transparent about the risk benefit equation.

This matters on the "do I believe scientist vs. politicians". If the latest information coming out about the US actually funding gain-of-function coronavirus research work in Wuhan, then some of the scientists may actually have a stronger agenda than the politicians here. If we end up concluding that the pandemic is a US funded experiment that went bad, it changes everything. Doctors I trust, but technocrats that had blowback concerns to consider, not so much.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Was just signing up my wife for her booster and now they also offer half doses. The full dose is for immunocompromised and half is a booster.
I must be making antibodies today as my temp hit just below 100. The second Moderna was much higher. It is well worth a day off!
Moderna Booster.png

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Was just signing up my wife for her booster and now they also offer half doses. The full dose is for immunocompromised and half is a booster.
I must be making antibodies today as my temp hit just below 100. The second Moderna was much higher. It is well worth a day off!
View attachment 129253
Any word yet on what dose those of us who ARE robots will get?

Markos

Conspirator
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We are all seasoned experts in virology now. There is some good information out there when you search for “Coronavirus” videos prior to 2019.

Arguable a boring Columbia University lecture by today’s standards but very interesting nonetheless.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Canberra, our national capital, is at 95% full dose. Said to be the most vaccinated city in the world. Not your typical city though as it is a habitat of bureau-rats, sorry bureaucrats and uncivil servants. Generally well educated, union indoctrinated and ensconced in an isolated world of government depart mentalism. ( Space intentional ).

Should be a case study, though I suspect that is already underway by some in house apparatchik using the tightly focused lens of woke censorship. 5 million dollars to tell us what we all know - they just wanted to be safe.

Last edited:

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Canberra, our national capital, is at 95% full dose. Said to be the most vaccinated city in the world. Not your typical city though as it is a habitat of bureau-rats, sorry bureaucrats and uncivil servants. Generally well educated, union indoctrinated and ensconced in an isolated world of government depart mentalism. ( Space intentional ).

Should be a case study, though I suspect that is already underway by some in house apparatchik using the tightly focused lens of woke censorship. 5 million dollars to tell us what we all know - they just wanted to be safe.

Are you having a delayed vaccine reaction Gazz :D Canberra isn't perfect but I suspect they will be laughing while many other states will be coughing.
As for wokeism that really is an argument of last resort, usually deployed by those who simply can't adapt to change or offer a valid counterpoint to scientific opinion.

Arde

Reaction score
View attachment 129253
On a separate topic, clicking the I'm not a robot button for every transaction I make actually makes me a robot.
I would ask for a button that reads "I was not a robot".

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you having a delayed vaccine reaction Gazz :D Canberra isn't perfect but I suspect they will be laughing while many other states will be coughing.
As for wokeism that really is an argument of last resort, usually deployed by those who simply can't adapt to change or offer a valid counterpoint to scientific opinion.
I applaud their percentage achievement, it's just the motivation that I'm sceptical about. As in safe from the rest of us taxed payers? Can't you just see the "Covid safe" notices within every eye shot throughout the city and in every gov' building? Daily, nay, hourly vaccination rate updates? It's a different world man.

Status
Not open for further replies.