Correct wheel paint for a CSI?

tripower

Reaction score
I have a set of wheels for my CSI that I wish to repaint, what paint brand and color are you guys using for this? I am also assuming (trying to keep the wheels correct) that this is a matte finish, certainly the OEM finish was not a gloss?

Shawn

Reaction score
The Wurth paint looks good and don't forget to spray on the Wurth clear coat after the silver color coat. It really brings the color coat to life.

Shawn

jrcalvin

Reaction score
Wurth paint

I always thought that the Wurth paint was a nice bright silver and not too far off from the various BMW silver paints. But original Alpina factory silver is a much less bright than Wurth silver in my opinion. If you have ever seen a brand new Alpina factory painted wheel next to a Wurth silver painted wheel, there is a big diference. But Wurth does look nice and is readily available in silver and clear. The Alpina centers are black, not grey and are either a semi-gloss or stain black finish - not matte.

tripower

Reaction score
Re: Wurth paint

I always thought that the Wurth paint was a nice bright silver and not too far off from the various BMW silver paints. But original Alpina factory silver is a much less bright than Wurth silver in my opinion. If you have ever seen a brand new Alpina factory painted wheel next to a Wurth silver painted wheel, there is a big diference. But Wurth does look nice and is readily available in silver and clear. The Alpina centers are black, not grey and are either a semi-gloss or stain black finish - not matte.

I don't have Alpina wheels to my knowledge, just standard CSI wheels with the cover plates. Is it correct to use a clear coat? I didn't think they came with a clear coat from the factory?

Shawn

Reaction score
Just a clarification, if you are painting open lug Alpina's do not use the Wurth paint. The color and finish is not correct. I was assuming you were painting run of the mill OEM 14" Kidney rims in which case Wurth is good enough for the price. If you are refinishing Alpina's I suggest using a professional to paint the rims.

Shawn

tripower

Reaction score
Just a clarification, if you are painting open lug Alpina's do not use the Wurth paint. The color and finish is not correct. I was assuming you were painting run of the mill OEM 14" Kidney rims in which case Wurth is good enough for the price. If you are refinishing Alpina's I suggest using a professional to paint the rims.

Shawn

I am not painting Alpina's, I am painting these:
[Broken External Image]:http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/q/e/22.png #1

And at $17 a can it better be far superior to 'good enough', it better deliver an OEM look finish.

Shawn

Reaction score
You are talking about the rim on the right I hope, not the one on the left?

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW, Wurth appears to have changed their formula and their spray nozzle as well. Silver wheel paint I purchased at fifteen bucks a can was as bright and metallic looking as some Krylon brite silver crap. Their nozzle clogs instantly, and by the time I found a nozzle that did not clog, it sprayed far too much paint, causing runs and globs. I believe BMW sells a silver wheel paint in rattle cans, or use the Alpina silver, far more German looking, with smaller metallic particles and a darker overall tone. On the other hand, Wurth rubber cement for attaching trunk and hood type seals is great. Its clear and not black or yellow like the usual weatherstrip cement in common use.

tripower

Reaction score
FWIW, Wurth appears to have changed their formula and their spray nozzle as well. Silver wheel paint I purchased at fifteen bucks a can was as bright and metallic looking as some Krylon brite silver crap. Their nozzle clogs instantly, and by the time I found a nozzle that did not clog, it sprayed far too much paint, causing runs and globs. I believe BMW sells a silver wheel paint in rattle cans, or use the Alpina silver, far more German looking, with smaller metallic particles and a darker overall tone. On the other hand, Wurth rubber cement for attaching trunk and hood type seals is great. Its clear and not black or yellow like the usual weatherstrip cement in common use.

Thanks Coupeguy. Where do I get (and who makes) the Alpina silver paint?

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Try the US Alpina distributor, KSK, they should have a website you can find and they used to advertise in the Roundel. Also try your BMW dealer for their silver wheel spray, havent checked for awhile, so not certain it is still available. Not postive Alpina wheel paint is still available either, just know for certain Wurth is wurthless (sorry).

tripower

Reaction score
Try the US Alpina distributor, KSK, they should have a website you can find and they used to advertise in the Roundel. Also try your BMW dealer for their silver wheel spray, havent checked for awhile, so not certain it is still available. Not postive Alpina wheel paint is still available either, just know for certain Wurth is wurthless (sorry).

The KSK site is just a rehash of the German Alpina site, unfortuneatly they decided to put their catalog in a series of PDF's (in German), which makes things difficult to search. And I didn't see any paint. I will call the dealer today.

Sent a PM.

UPDATE:
KSK/Alpina - nothing
Dealer - Nada
BavAuto - ditto

Next stop. AutoZone.

tripower

Reaction score
Has anyone used these wheel paints?

VHT wheel paint
Einszett Sibler Spray

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Correct paint on E-9 wheels

1) Can hardly believe the long discussion and struggle over wheel paint and the many varied opinions expressed.
2) Curious to know if any opiners actually know what original wheel paint was like on E-9 stock wheels?
3) from commentary--some are close but seems there is little agreement
4) no magic difference of color between original CS, CSi or CSL rims--BMW just didn't go to such lengths--they kept the same color of painted wheels for years following the early cars
5) Wurth rattle can silver IS the closest to original BMW wheel color when correctly applied--can be color matched by professional auto paint store.
6) If DIY--thorough prep is essential--chemical strip by professional is best first step--then 2-3 thin color coats applied while turning wheel on a "lazy susan" for uniform coverage at temperatures of 65-80F--top with 2-3 thin coats of Wurth clear and results have always been good and are much easier to keep clean--at least for wheels done here
7) Alternative--consider having a very experienced professional shop do the re-finishing
8) there is one in Santa Ana by the name of Speedway metal finishing that does excellent work at reasonable cost--no affiliation--but have had excellent results from them on a set of OZ 15" for a 3.0CS and 14" bottlecaps for my '02--they have been refinishing Porsche, MBZ and BMW wheels for years and the results are as new.

HTH