Coupe door handle inside bracket assembly install

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is there an assembly process to install the door handle and inside brackets, latch/lock brackets and key assembly? Having a difficult time understanding how the handle bracket inside the door is assembled?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
very tricky

I did mine with the glass out. I would tape around the two holes in the door panel to protect the paint. I also used just a nut on the two interior studs to get things started and aligned. Later I came back and added flat and lock washers. The interior studs allow for a bit of up and down adjustment. Tighten bolts when the two curved arms protruding through the door panel holes clear the edges of the hole at all positions. Carefully install the outer chrome handle and adjust. Make sure you have the rubber stops installed. I ended up gluing mine onto the handle. You may have to go back and forth between adjusting the handle screws and the main assembly bolts. You will want to have the belt-line trim installed on the door and to the rear of the door so you have something to align the handle to.

This is all a PITA since there is very little clearance to paint, beltline trim and alignment.

good luck.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Coupe Exterior Handle and and Lock assembly

Sven,

Your are correct I took the glass out the manual does not show the two mounting studs at the top of the door -basically I have the assembly 180 degrees rotated. Once I had the prrocess down and took time to align, it made sense. As a BSME and X automotive engineer the German engineering is something to behold. The main point on this project is Patience -lots of patience.

My problem is I took the car apart 17 years ago with no photos refurbished the entire body sheetmetal saved every part but my memory is lacking. By time I am done will have a beautiful photo plan of every deatil on the car.

Thanks for your assistance