Coupe E9 Wheels & tires. What fits?

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
I scored some 16X8 ET 23 factory E38 take offs that are in really good shape BMW part# 1 182 277 full set for $200.00. What size tires can I run on the Coupe E9 with this wheel, this is by no means a garage/trailer queen car so I plan on making as much room as possible on the inner lip of the fenders. Before I bought the car someone installed Eibach front springs in this car, but left the factory rear springs in for some reason, I'll probably nip the rears a little to lower the car in back maybe even have a spring shop make some springs up to fit back there. They did however put brand new Bilstiens in when they did all this? These are really nice wheels about 17.5 lbs each, but I can't see any thing about where they are made though they all say "FUNDO" on them inside under the large plastic caps? I'm looking for the largest tire I can fit on all 4 corners, no stagger unless someone can convince me? 245 45 16 is what I would like to fit in there, but I think it will rub in front when turning? PIC OF THE EXACT WHEEL STYLE http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...emQQimsxZ20091016?IMSfp=TL0910161810002r30321

Last edited:

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I have had a variety of wheels and tires on E9s over time and am very skeptical that these wheels you have will work. The problem is in the front.

At one point, I had 225/50s all around on staggered Alpinas: 16x7 and 16x8. The front tires stuck out beyond the fender lip about an inch. Next time around I went with 205/55s in front and 225/50s in the rear and these fit ok. I have fairly short springs and rolled fender lips. I think they rub on the rear of the inner front wheel wells at something near full lock if you hit a bump, but all that does is scuff the paint there.

There is not much space between the tire sidewall and the strut, so I don't see how a tire much wider than a 205/55-16 can fit without sticking out beyond the body.

I have seen 245/45-16s on the rear of E9s and they seemed to fit ok.

2800csm5

Reaction score
The only size wheel tire combination that will fit on the front without modification
is a 16/7 inch ET 12 wheel and 205/55/16 tire. You could go with a wider wheel, but
the tire will rub on the strut that the shock fits into. You could use a spacer to move
the tire out, but then it will stick out beyond the fender edge. The rear will acommodate
up to a 9 inch with the correct et to move the wheel in so that the outer edge lines up
with the outer fender. If you have the chrome fender flair, then no change is required.

After 36 years of playing around with wheel/tire combination's on my coup, I have
found that stagger 7 inch front and 8 or 9 rear is the only way to go.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I run BMW 840ci factory 16x7.5 wheels with 225/50/16 tires all around but I would reccomend 205/55/16 for the front because going over a large bump or dip the front tires sometimes rub. Rears fit perfectly and fill the fender wells very nicely.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
After 36 years of playing around with wheel/tire combination's on my coup, I have found that stagger 7 inch front and 8 or 9 rear is the only way to go.
Q. Would true BBS RS (style 005's) 7j x 16 front (11mm offset) and (style 006) 8j x 16 (24mm offset) fit, not rub and appear correct on the standard e9 (w/o flairs?)

Q2. Are the chrome flairs still available and during fitment is any bodywork required or are they a press fit only?

Q3. What is the consequence of removing the original front spacers installed near the strut tower bearings (to meet minimum DOT lighting height requirements) in order to create a more acceptable down rake for the vehicle given the proper height is achieved using larger wheels and tires?

Thanks!

Ran

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Q. Would true BBS RS (style 005's) 7j x 16 front (11mm offset) and (style 006) 8j x 16 (24mm offset) fit, not rub and appear correct on the standard e9 (w/o flairs?)

Q2. Are the chrome flairs still available and during fitment is any bodywork required or are they a press fit only?

Q3. What is the consequence of removing the original front spacers installed near the strut tower bearings (to meet minimum DOT lighting height requirements) in order to create a more acceptable down rake for the vehicle given the proper height is achieved using larger wheels and tires?

Thanks!

Ran

Q1. Perfect fit...same et as Alpina staggers.

Q2. New original brass chrome wheel arch trims are about $1600 for the set. Good used ones are not much cheaper. They are mounted with screw only.

Q3. Perfect rake and stance with the spacers removed.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Bert...for the quick, concise answers....This is the rake I would like to achieve...
_DSC0054-full.jpg

PS At $400/corner + install, someone here should go into the chrome/brass hammering business...huh?
:mrgreen:

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Wheels & Tires

I have seen these wheels on a E9 before somewhere, and more commonly on a E24 though. FUNDO wheels are made in the Netherlands at a factory that I think from what I read is now out of business, but they made a boat load of wheels for BMW, SAAB, and Volvo so finding a replacement wheel should not be a issue in the near future. These appear to be a exact copy of a BBS wheel style aside from the center cap design, and outer hub design. It sounds like the fronts will require some work to make things fit correct with out rubbing on the strut and fender. I recall fitting 14x6 VW wheels 185 60 14 on my 68 BMW 1600 with this same strut rubbing deal, I used a very thin spacer about 3 or 4mm thick to correct this problem in front. I think I might be able to getaway with a 5mm to 10mm spacer up front to correct this. I try to fit the wheels up on the beast tomorrow to see what things look like, sounds like I might at the very most be able to only fit a 225 55 16 up front or 215 60 16 with 225 60 16 in back, and all the more reason to lower the rear a bit more. The current tires I have fitted are 205 70 14 tires, and are be quite a bit taller at 25.8" than the 245 45 16 by about a inch. Most of the 245 45 16 tires that are available are all race tires anyway not that that is bad, but a nice DOT highway tire that doesn't cost a arm and a leg is what I am looking for. There are about 16 times as many tire choices when you get in to 225 55 16 or 215 60 16...

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Try looking at the 'Charger' HR rated tire...(by Kelley)
It's long been my low profile of choice for my 28 year old e24
been at a decent price, they are getting hard to find these days.
...fronts are 225's...rears 255's.

DSC00014-1.jpg

Here's a pic with the staggered BBS wheel set up mentioned above...
almost a 1" suspension drop, with the Kelley HR rated tires.
The BBS RS 3-piece wheels are available from time to time staggered ...
$1500-$2,200, depending on finish. There's a set or two on ebay at present.
These wheels are very stong, reduce unsprung weight significantly...
and are a genuine racing wheel. Believe the rear 24mm offset is required e9 too.

...low profile and hence there goes your rub a dub...just don't hit any curbs!

Cheers!

Ran

Last edited:

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score

Q2. Unless your car sits really high, you have to roll the front fender lips to clear the tire. Then I am pretty sure that the chrome lips won't fit. I know I looked into this years ago, but my memory is a little fuzzy on this.

Q3. Most cars (these are US 72-74 models) have had the aluminum spacers removed years ago. They drop the front by about 3/4". Usually when changing wheels and tires, you try to stick to tires near the diameter of the originals. For instance, 205/55-16 and 225/50-16 tires are pretty close to the original 185 (80)-14s and 195/70-14s the E9s came with.

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
What fits..

Well the wheel fits the front except it just scrapes the strut I can even spin the wheel, but it drags on the strut a little . If I have the inner lip of the wheel machined 2-3mm it would clear. The over all rim width is 9" lip to lip to lip 8" inner lip to inner lip.. The outer rim is even with the top of the fender lip. I figure I am safe at 8" max of sectional tread width at this point. If I have a set camber plates installed this should give just enough room to get a 215 55 16 or even a 215 60 16. Any thoughts on tire profile..? Certainly 60 series tires are taller than what is on there, but only by maybe a 1/4". I would hate to lower the car any more in the front as it is I can barely get the floor jack under the front sub-frame as is with 205 70 14. Then there would be the issue of the struts bottoming out possibly if I lower it more, and not sure the front struts are sports Bilsteins or not I'll have to take a closer look, and see? I can have the strut's spring pad modified a little at the bottom so it has a adjustable collar on it, or see if I can get any more room out of the top spring pad which would be easier to do anyway.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think the amount of work you are about to take on for those wheels will be a major undertaking not to mention compromise the wheels if you machine the hub. You will need somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/4 -1in of space between wheel and strut to be safe. The tire will bulge past the wheel and rub - specially in hard cornering situation. Go with the 7in fronts and sleep at night.

tmason

Reaction score
What are the wheels and size on the e9 in the photobucket jranmann? Thanks Tim

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
What fits?

Tire deflection is a issue....! I have considered this, but looking at past experience with this same issue on my 1600, there should not be a issue seeing that the tire I am going to mount is going to be streched across the rim pretty darn tight. I am going to get one tire mounted and slip 5 1-2mm washers on the lugs under rim on the hub then check clearance issues again on this. My concern is that the tire will rub on the fender, not the strut at this point. I really don't like the idea about machining the rim either, a spacer is more my style, even if there is plenty of meat to machine that small 1.5mm to 2mm lip that hangs in the balance....

cgraner

Reaction score
Style 65 replicas 20 offset 8" wheels half tread tires 225/45-17

Looking at some used Style 65 replicas 20 offset 8" wheels half tread tires 225/45-17 not staggered.

I think stock size is 195/70-14 and the tire size on the wheels now is 225/45-17. Rolling diameter is fine but based on comments below it seems that the wheel/tire might rub either the fender or shock tube.

Any idea if this wheel will work? I assume the rear is fine but the front may need a spacer and maybe smaller tires like 205. Any ideas on the fit for this? The car is a 1971 3.0 CSi.

Tire Size Comparison
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
195/70-14 5.4in 12.4in 24.7in 77.7in 815 0.0%
225/45-17 4.0in 12.5in 25.0in 78.5in 808 0.9%

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5459&page=2

I run BMW 840ci factory 16x7.5 wheels with 225/50/16 tires all around but I would recommend 205/55/16 for the front because going over a large bump or dip the front tires sometimes rub. Rears fit perfectly and fill the fender wells very nicely.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3938&page=2

10 years ago when i bought my Orange I drove 205/65/14 Continental Super Contact.
This was the best option to 195/70/14 as you can see in my list below.
Since these dimension were not available anymore, i changed to:
205/60/14 on front and 215/60/14 on rear (215 on front is too large for the fenders)
Bought this set for 300€ 2 years ago from my colleague Günter.

195/70/14 is original---->circumference is 191,1 cm
205/65/14 --------------->circumference is 189.1 cm speedometer - 1%
205/70/14 --------------->circumference is 195.4 cm speedometer + 2%
205/60/14 --------------->circumference is 182.9 cm speedometer - 4%
215/60/14 --------------->circumference is 186.5 cm speedometer - 2%

See calculator (german) :

http://www.reifensuchmaschine.de/rei...fenrechner.htm

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the wheels and tires I have on my coupe that are pretty easy to get hold of. The fenders are "rolled" using the all-powerful Eastwood tool. The rear fenders did not need to be rolled but I did anyhow. Tire size is 225/50/16 mounted to some Chinese Knock-off Alpina wheels. I think they are round and they have been holding air for a while so I'm happy with them for about 800.00 off ebay. They do not hit the struts or anything else (so far). I'm using CN springs and Bilstein HD's all around. I liked the idea of having the same size wheels & tires all around- no particular reason. I have driven with the same set up on the stock 14 inch wheels and stock sized tires and I think I actually like the feel of the stock set-up better- the suspension seems a little less harsh but on the highway there is less of a difference, or my preference is less pronounced. Anyhow, I just thought I would try to add a little more confusion to this thread- Hope it works...I mean helps :)

Attachments

• 20140904_174511.jpg
    20140904_174511.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 501
  • 20140904_174430.jpg
    20140904_174430.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 596