CSA or CS/CSi?

Mark Roe

Reaction score
Hi, I'm entirely new to E9's and BMW's generally but am seriously considering one of these beautiful coupes if I can find one and afford it! I'm actually considering a CSA as although I've almost always had Manual classics we are thinking of doing more touring and occasional towing of our classic 70's caravan and I'm thinking maybe the auto would be nice?

Trouble is that my memory of old 70's auto boxes is those terrible 3 speed slush boxes so I'm assuming that's the sort of thing these have? I'm aware that people often upgrade the old Borg Warner 3 speeds in Triumph Stags to a more modern ZF 4 speed auto with great results in drivability and fuel ecomomy - does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this upgrade for the E9?

In general, I'm guessing most E9 devotees want a CS or CSi manual which is presumably why the CSA seems considerably cheaper? But if it could be upgraded to a 4 sp auto maybe it would be a nice car? Also any thoughts or experience on relative MPG (Imp) for CSA vs CS/CSi would be interesting and any thoughts on towing a lightweight caravan occasionally with one of these? Many thanks.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It seems a large number of the OE automatics here on the west side of the Atlantic have been converted to manuals - either 4 speed OE transmission, or more commonly the 5 speed (265/6 is an overdrive with a 20% rpm reduction in 5th while the 265/5 is a close ratio with direct drive in 5th). Just need to find the parts. There is an excellent procedure write up here on the forum.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've a 5 speed CS.
Can't fault it for touring performance.
The only time I wish I had an auto of any description is when I'm driving through the city.

mr bump

Reaction score
Mine used to run the ZF 3 speed, was awful changing gear until John castle told me how to ajust it and it worked superb. 2 weeks later I ripped it out and fitted a dogleg 5 speed with an LSD diff both from a 78 E24, so much better now.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
"considerably cheaper"?

I haven't really noticed that. True, CSi's command a bit more than regular CS's due, but that's not entirely due to the transmission.

I'd say CSA's may be a bit cheaper. Maybe at most $5k, which is the cost to convert to a stick.