CSi on BAT

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

This looks like a nice car to me. I don't understand why there has been so little interest or comment about it on this site, given the feeding frenzy typically seen around other BaT E9 offerings:rolleyes: What's up? Is it being discussed in another thread?

Cheers!
Dan
I bet there is, I was thinking the same thing but I can’t find it either

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That CSi has a few issues, maybe not a big deal but: pre 74 door panels with window motor access holes, headrests are early bread loaf style (did euro coupe get those, US coupes are peaked at the ends prior to 74), stitched heel pads, stitched upper dash covers, wrong seat back release knobs, looks like door brakes are broken or wrong ones used, saggy headliner up front, dirty sun visors, square brake fluid reservoir on the MC (!), wrong radiator wall rubber seal, not very visible but something is up with pass side tail light cover, are there retractors for front shoulder belts, unfortunate floor panel repair, two into one down pipe into aftermarket center muffler. I know the seller BTW.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Given where prices are going I think it is fair to let folks know what they are buying. It is a sharp looking car and seems fair at $40K. Who knows where this auction will head?

That CSi has a few issues, maybe not a big deal but: pre 74 door panels with window motor access holes, headrests are early bread loaf style (did euro coupe get those, US coupes are peaked at the ends prior to 74), stitched heel pads, stitched upper dash covers, wrong seat back release knobs, looks like door brakes are broken or wrong ones used, saggy headliner up front, dirty sun visors, square brake fluid reservoir on the MC (!), wrong radiator wall rubber seal, not very visible but something is up with pass side tail light cover, are there retractors for front shoulder belts, unfortunate floor panel repair, two into one down pipe into aftermarket center muffler. I know the seller BTW.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Hi Chris, the above issues not withstanding, this car looks like it's got pretty good bones. The incorrect floor repair panels are a bit of a shame, but really not a huge deal on a 'driver' car. More importantly, it looks very solid and the list of incorrect items could be easily fixed over time.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal to put a couple of W&N floor panels in if you were so inclined. I'd be surprised if this one didn't get up to 65 or 70k.

If I was selling a car like this, I would definitely include some photos with the sill cover panels removed. A couple of 'rust free' sill panel images would be worth their weight in gold.

Cheers!
Dan

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have to admit, this one slipped past my normally keen auction stalking eye. I see some of the items that others have mentioned. But all in all, this seems like a solid car. Certainly a looker from the curb. I trust it will generate some steam over the next two days. Thanks for posting it!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It does look pretty solid to me as well, including the fender seams. And the issues mentioned can be fixed, they just detract from its overall appearance. Seller has posted here, he’s primarily an Alfa guy.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks too sloppy stuff going on here:

1974_bmw_3-0csi_153733187517a8c84IMG_8037.jpg

1974_bmw_3-0csi_1537331860a0e44c7e9IMG_8038.jpg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Surprised no one has commented on the "CS" replacement (I assume) VIN plate versus the "CSi" on the trunk.

All original VIN plates says CS, no matter if it is a CSi or a CSL, but it sure looks like it is a repro tag on this car.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All original VIN plates says CS, no matter if it is a CSi or a CSL, but it sure looks like it is a repro tag on this car.
I have to admit, I am a fan of the reproduction VIN plates on a car that has been redone from top to bottom. It just looks so clean and crisp to match a similarly clean car (just like new stickers, etc). Of course, this comes with the requirement that the original VIN tag is forever kept, and stays with the car if sold. Not sure if that applies here.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think I have worked on this car- for sure remember the seller.
Very nice guy- a real straight shooter. Decent car guy.
I think I got brought in to get it to run.
From memory it was decent.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have to admit, I am a fan of the reproduction VIN plates on a car that has been redone from top to bottom. It just looks so clean and crisp to match a similarly clean car (just like new stickers, etc). Of course, this comes with the requirement that the original VIN tag is forever kept, and stays with the car if sold. Not sure if that applies here.

Maybe, but it's actually illegal to remove a VIN from a car. Of course, done all the time with restorations. Especially when it's affixed to the dash pad (like old Mopars).

I dunno, I don't like seeing BRAND NEW VIN tags. Screams REPOP, which then screams FRAUD, but not necessarily. But possible.