zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$205,000 and they couldn't replace the hood Roundel ??? ...sad

149593.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How about the ‘after market’ chrome wheel arches..... regardless of the price, an insult to any Csl.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I kind of like the fact that it has some flaws (as one would expect from any 45 year old car). I am certainly no CSL expert, but would it be correct for the drivers/left side mirror to be at the front edge of the door (European location), and the passenger/right side mirror to be behind the vent window (US location)?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I remember a guy that lived near me (Grass Valley, CA) bought a CSL from Fantasy Junction back in the late '90s for $19,500 I believe. Some of you might remember it having an oval number on the doors at the Monterey Historics BMW corral back then. He sold it a couple years later for a little more than he bought it for I think. Those were the days...

soxrus

Reaction score
For all the "Old Timers" who might still be here ...

I think this is Merdad's old CSL ... I'm still looking for my file on his CSL to see if that was the serial #.

I owned the car for a year or so back in the day (if it's Merdad's old CSL).

I sold it back to a guy in Calif. but it had working AC when it left Alabama.

Think I sold it when I found Roger B's Golf Yellow CSL as that serial # was lower than 047

Be Safe All, Jimmy

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Jimmy,
Did this car have the Momo Alpina steering wheel during your ownership? Did the early 2275’s (upto 2275050) still have the Momo Alpina wheels wheels as were on the Carb Csl’s?
Thanks
Keshav

soxrus

Reaction score
I have to say, I don't remember what 047 had (if that was even the CSL I owned) !?!?

Someone mentioned "Glenn ..." ?? I think that name rings a bell as to who I sold the car too ... ??

I know it did NOT have the correct 380 mm Leather covered Petri (and "correct" is not the right term and nothing is absolutely "Correct" for CSL's ... see my post about the other CSL for sale).

Some Carb CSL's came with the leather 380 Petri also ... this I know !!

2275 011 (BMW Motor Sports street CSL), I'm almost positive came with the Leather 380 Petri steering wheel too ... I would need to get the article from AutoMotor Sport down and look at the Pics to be positive !?!?

The Alpina wheel was a popular option and/or replacement however.

There is a gentleman (term used loosely as he and his buddy, Marcos are the primary reason I'm not active in the hobby anymore) ... Yannick Bernat in France knows as much about CSL's as anyone ... he and Gerritt Blankman (a REAL gentleman) were my go to folks in Europe for CSL info !!

Mr. Henry Payne had it changed on his CSL while at the factory from the Petri to the Alpina wheel. The serial number on Henry Payne's CSL is 2275 302. This is the only CSL ever sold new in the US and it was never federalized as Henry had connections in Washington. The Pentagon has his Electrical Entrance equipment throughout !!

The story I was told about when the DOT guys came out to "inspect" the car for him to be able to title the car are priceless !! The serial number was checked and the paperwork was given and the DOT guys were none to happy about it I was told ...

Be Safe All, Jimmy

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is a gentleman (term used loosely as he and his buddy, Marcos are the primary reason I'm not active in the hobby anymore) ... Yannick Bernat in France knows as much about CSL's as anyone ... he and Gerritt Blankman (a REAL gentleman) were my go to folks in Europe for CSL info

Thanks Jimmy, I know both those gentlemen well. I guess there is no hard and fast rule regarding when the Alpina wheel wasn’t an option for the 2275’s.
Regards
Keshav

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a gentleman (term used loosely as he and his buddy, Marcos are the primary reason I'm not active in the hobby anymore)

Hi Jimmy,

There appeared to be a mass exodus of CSL wisemen prior to my joining the forum a short time ago. I don’t need names but please clarify, we are not talking about a different Marcos and not Markos right? I have a few BMW buddies but I know nothing about CSL's. :D

soxrus

Reaction score
Let me clarify ... MarCos (and German) not MarKos (US)

There was something that happened with the other "German", Marcos that was wrong and I'm still not over it yet (never will be) !!

I've never had the pleasure of meeting either ... and for the record Yannick was never anything but helpful and nice to me. I actually was going to buy his series 2 Batmobile (that was Hans Stuck's jr. personal car/CSL) at one time and the Dollar/Euro rate changed on me and the deal was going to be 90k instead of 80k and I backed out (jeez what a screw up that was).

I'm sure both are still in the hobby ... I love the cars and most of the people ...

but as my Dad always said ... you never know someone til you deal with them about money ...

Be Safe All, Jimmy

wsk

Reaction score
Yannick is into Porsches now but has not forgotten anything... and as Jimmy says, Gerritt is a real gentleman and a wonderful resource as is Henric Anselm. Not sure if any of them are ever on this forum anymore but boy it's nice to see Jimmy back!

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jimmy,
Great to have you opine and educate us. Speaking of dumb moves, I should have bought your 2002 turbo when I can and visited and purchased your Taiga CSL!

I must agree with everyone, you were such a gentleman and I had a great visit. Hope to see you again.

Chuck

soxrus

Reaction score
Chuck,

Good to hear from you ... I got your text pic some time back of the Taiga CSL !!

I'm so proud when I find good owners for these cars ... and you sir are a good owner !!

Still have it, I hope ??

That was a pretty decent mostly original CSL in a great color !!

Be Safe All, Jimmy

soxrus

Reaction score
A quick quote from a US movie ... Patrick Swaze played a bouncer in "RoadHouse" many years ago ...

At one point he told some of his Bouncers in training ...

"We are going to be NICE, until it's time to no longer be NICE"

Never understood what is so hard about that to most people !?!?

Be Safe All, Jimmy