CSL duck-tail spoiler

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell a repo CSL rear duck-tail spoiler from a real one? Are there any tell tale signs to indicate OEM? Eg were originals fibreglass or a plastic composite? Trying to determine re this one below.

Was on a RHD CSL for at least 25 years. That’s all I know.

Am currently looking to buy it.

A5BE9865-1E0A-465B-84A8-8787BFE7F353.jpeg

E5A057B6-A091-47D4-A7AD-7A21AE94AF5D.jpeg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You should get it. Looks very correct to me. My spoilers look exactly the same. I must admit that these spoilers supposedly had a Motorsport plaque but mine didn’t. Also the rubber lip looks in good shape which is the critical part. What’s not original is the bmw emblem (too small) which was discussed recently. The Csl decal is also available from Jaymic for after painting the spoiler.

371CB2A4-8582-48C1-BD21-50F1FE31EDD2.jpeg

Wladek

Reaction score
Badge from OEM BMW steering wheel 45mm:D
If you want to have nice badge use one from BMW motorcycles like 1200RR, dimeter is 2mm larger than e9 c-pillar, so will look perfect.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell a repo CSL rear duck-tail spoiler from a real one? Are there any tell tale signs to indicate OEM? Eg were originals fibreglass or a plastic composite? Trying to determine re this one below.

Was on a RHD CSL for at least 25 years. That’s all I know.

Am currently looking to buy it.

View attachment 56169

View attachment 56170

Just buy it Mal before some else does ... is someone really going to see your car and tell you that’s a OEM or copy part !!!

Teej

Reaction score
I thought there is not supposed to be a badge on a spoiler like this. Mine had one and I took it off, have it laying around somewhere.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Teej,
If you are referring to the bmw emblem on the spoiler (I noticed you’ve removed it), yes it’s supposed to be there. If you decided not to use it, keep it safe since it’s a unique size badge specially for the spoiler, NLA.
If you have to give it away :), I’ll happily be it’s custodian.
Keshav

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cost for this rear spoiler is USD $600 so just hoping it’s original.

I want to add that it could very well be a repro but a good one at that. They have the same design, from the inside too. The price of 600USD is aceptable specially since it’s in AUS already. Alone the shipping of such a Part to Aus would cost upto 100USD from Europe.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I want to add that it could very well be a repro but a good one at that. They have the same design, from the inside too. The price of 600USD is aceptable specially since it’s in AUS already. Alone the shipping of such a Part to Aus would cost upto 100USD from Europe.

Thanks Keshav.

Yes I have bought it now, thought I better grab it quickly as these rear spoilers are very hard to source and don’t come up for sale much. I also have checked and no one is making reproduction versions anymore either.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Keshav.

Yes I have bought it now, thought I better grab it quickly as these rear spoilers are very hard to source and don’t come up for sale much. I also have checked and no one is making reproduction versions anymore either.

Thanks to guidance from HB Chris, the correct size for the bmw spoiler badge is 71mm but 70mm from a 1600-2002 will do the job perfectly, if you choose to install one.

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks to guidance from HB Chris, the correct size for the bmw spoiler badge is 71mm but 70mm from a 1600-2002 will do the job perfectly, if you choose to install one.

Is it the front or rear roundel that works from a 1600?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is it the front or rear roundel that works from a 1600?

After HB Chris confirmed the correct size, 71mm (quite impossible to find) so he pointed out the Z3 70mm....
“You can also try part #51.14.7.721.222,flat 70mm rear trunk emblem for a Z3, should be readily available”.

Whilst looking for 70mm badges I found it’s the size used on 1600-2002, Z3/ Z4, BMW bikes, amongst others.
Wanting an oldish one, I found an old 1600 one and it looks flat to me..... waiting to get it.

This was also discussed a few days ago and Ulrich came up with a practical solution, take a look.
https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threa...-part-number-or-substitute.30028/#post-241173

Saw this one too, wrote the seller to confirm if it’s flat.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/161995233721

Last edited:

michelk

Site Donor
Reaction score
hello
looks very O.E.M
through de yellow/brown glassy ,,paste,,, on both ends/corners from spoiler
and also how is made the 5 iron clamps/brackets for mounting the spoiler on the bootlid
and how the colour is,very old brown ressin from fixing the clamps
I can say almost certainly,it is 100 % O.E.M and 40-45 years old
michel

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
YEP thats it ok good as gold i just had real trepedations
before and while drilled my truck deck lid