CSL Headliner

kramco

Reaction score
hello all, I've searched for this answer but can't seem to find the exact headliner material for a 72 CSL. I'm well into a full restoration and would like to make sure I get the correct type and from a reputable supplier - someone in Australia would be a bonus! Thank-you

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@HB Chris,

Does the CS headliner go all the way to the windshield like the CSL headliner does? I ask because it may just be better to find a CS headliner and SEM spray it black.

The SMS fabric is a low fidelity version of the original and significantly more thick. Conversely the CS fabric is a perfect match, just the wrong color.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@HB Chris,

Does the CS headliner go all the way to the windshield like the CSL headliner does? I ask because it may just be better to find a CS headliner and SEM spray it black.

The SMS fabric is a low fidelity version of the original and significantly more thick. Conversely the CS fabric is a perfect match, just the wrong color.
I wouldn’t think so, you need something to hold sunvisors like the CS.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think so, you need something to hold sunvisors like the CS.

I am just wondering if the fabric is fully installed under the header panel. I’ve never removed a header panel or headliner.

The CSL visors are secured with these on the open end.
69AA1EC8-E56D-4228-A75A-9D6BC0A0A0F1.jpeg

Looking at the photos from @vraned, it looks like the CS headliner stops short of the windshield. Bummer! I was kind of hoping I could just spray my existing headliner black and help a legitimate CSL owner out in the process.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am just wondering if the fabric is fully installed under the header panel. I’ve never removed a header panel or headliner.

The CSL visors are secured with these on the open end.
View attachment 154853

Looking at the photos from @vraned, it looks like the CS headliner stops short of the windshield. Bummer! I was kind of hoping I could just spray my existing headliner black and help a legitimate CSL owner out in the process.

The CS has a formed cover to mount sunvisors and dome light and is covered in material similar to the headliner.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The CS has a formed cover to mount sunvisors and dome light and is covered in material similar to the headliner.

Right. I was asking if underneath that header panel if the main headliner travels all the way to the front windscreen. Meaning, if you removed the header would you still have a full headliner. If that was the case, it would be a good argument for just spraying a CS headliner black.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My Chamonix’s PO deleted the panel and ran headliner to the window. I will make surgical openings for visors and install the panel over the headliner.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i went looking at pictures that i took yesterday, and unfortunately no pics of the headliners. i thought the headliner went all the way to the windshield without the normal CS panel ... but i could be wrong.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i went looking at pictures that i took yesterday, and unfortunately no pics of the headliners. i thought the headliner went all the way to the windshield without the normal CS panel ... but i could be wrong.

On the CSL, the headliner does in fact go from windscreen to windscreen with no header panel. I have a factory CSL headliner, I just wasn’t sure if the CS headliner was identical under the header.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
hello all, I've searched for this answer but can't seem to find the exact headliner material for a 72 CSL. I'm well into a full restoration and would like to make sure I get the correct type and from a reputable supplier - someone in Australia would be a bonus! Thank-you
I had this stuff made by SMS auto fabrics in Oregon (?) circa 2015. They made a short run, and I don't know if they made any more. I had a torn up original headliner and they copied it. The pattern is not the same as regular CS, so it's not just the color that is different, IIRC. My CSL is up in New Hampshire getting some work, so I can't go look at it. If SMS still has some, you could ask them to send you a sample.

I am not sure if he is still active, but Dan in Colorado may also have some of the SMS repro in his inventory.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
1) The CS headliner does not extend all the way to the front windshield, it stops under the formed "cowl" that holds the sunroof switch (or dome light) and visors.

2) I used the SMS in white (they also sent me the black version which Craterface refers to) on my EURO CS and it is a bit thicker, making it an issue to deal with and the pattern is less refined if you look closely. From my POV, it was the best match for what was originally there and the transition from the new headliner to the "cowl" which maintains the original material, is hard to tell unless you purposely stare. I was lucky as I had my guys blend an SEM color to match the new headliner and went over the "cowl" with that.

This hunt has been going on from quite some time. Perhaps some pressure on BMW as has been done in the past? They seem to sporadically come through. Ex: I had already bought a houndstooth cloth for the center of my Euro seats and Luis had been requesting BMW to remake the corduroy. As I was dropping my seats off to get redone, he texted me that BMW released the corduroy..................ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had this stuff made by SMS auto fabrics in The pattern is not the same as regular CS, so it's not just the color that is different, IIRC.

That is not my recollection but I am definitely curious. I’m one layer away from reaching my BMW parts in my storage pod. I will snap a closeup of both for a comparison. Both the CS (2800) and CSL (RHD) headliners are undoubtedly original.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the CSL, the headliner does in fact go from windscreen to windscreen with no header panel. I have a factory CSL headliner, I just wasn’t sure if the CS headliner was identical under the header.
I must have few pics of it as I removed it just last year or so. In my recollection it does go to the front, glued to the ceiling, but not all the way to the wi dow rubber. Also, i am sure there is a cutout for the mirror . So no go on the paint-it-black idea i am afraid.

I'll check pics tonight.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is not my recollection but I am definitely curious. I’m one layer away from reaching my BMW parts in my storage pod. I will snap a closeup of both for a comparison. Both the CS (2800) and CSL (RHD) headliners are undoubtedly original.

1971 2800CS. Photo credit @Markos:
4AAD1025-D0AF-4FC1-8158-230CF485EC0B.jpeg

Early 1973 3.0CSL (RHD). Photo credit @Markos:
F8FC4BB7-9A2A-4297-BAD2-B328A149269C.jpeg

If you can get KHM 347 in black, that would be the way to go! Photo credit: @boonies:
84C1CE2D-B021-483A-B40E-C95EE1C0A22E.jpeg

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos, @bavbob, @JamesE30 , the pic that Markos posted is what my original CSL headliner looked like also. And the SMS replica is as close as I have seen. Mario at VSR installed it, and I don't recall any issues with it being too thick, at that time, but maybe they have started using thicker raw material. I am pretty sure they had to machine a roller/embosser out of metal to emboss the fabric, so it takes some money and time. And the embossing is done by hand, IIRC, as the vinyl passes through the machine. It's such a tiny niche market that BMW Classic isn't going to bother.