CSL in Kit form

Rob F

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now the summer has ended and my TR6 is in storage, I have finally dug out the CSL from the corner of the garage I bought back in January 2018. The car was completely dismantled, hence the invoice I got with the car details it as a CSL in Kit form. There has been some work done on the car by a so called quality restoration company, but it looks a bit of a bodge to me, so the work around the top of the A post/inner wings needs to come off and start again with the correct panels. Going to start with the inner / intermediate sills to hopefully get some stability back to the shell, then work my round the car. :):)
Happy days & nights ahead !!
oct18-09.jpeg
oct18-02.jpeg
oct18-05.jpeg

Marc-M

Reaction score
Hi Rob
well I have to say its not so bad.... a lot less rust than mine...

It looks like a great staring point and the front inner wings look great..
I spot the new Jasic welder - I weld with 0.6mm wire and its great with the thin steel - also use a proper gas like BOC Argoshield - if you open an account and tell then you are a hobbyist you get the rental of the cyls less..
You will go use a few of them I recon...
Keep the picture going , and looking forward to seeing it on the road!
Best of luck

Marc

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is quite a project. I hope you have all of the ( interior) parts, as they are not easy to come by. Any plans you are willing to share?

One thing has me wondering, it's the front bit (shape) of the inner sill in the side view shot. It looks like your replacement sill has a more sharp point to it vs the part on your car.

The sill normally has a strange double sheet construction there. It appears to be so on your replacement part, but it looks like it is lacking on your car.

Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, or the zebra that hides under your car stole it....

Erik.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

Rob F

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Marc,
I'm very pleased with the Jamic unit. Also using 0.6 wire with Argonshield gas. Your forum updates are a great point of helpful information.
Keep it coming
Rob

Rob F

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Eric,
Your right about the inner sills on my car. They are incorrect along with the footwell kick plates and the top panels along the top edge of the inner wings. These will all be replaced with the correct panels. Started removing the inner sill today.
I have all the interior and mechanical bits, Although they all need refurbishing. I will need a new black headliner and I'm hoping BMW will produce new rear quarter panels before I'm ready to put the outer panels back on.
The original engine is at my engine builder for a full rebuild.
Regards
Rob

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sure is strange to find these short sills in a CSL. How could these sills ever have fitted correctly as they are ~60 mm to short? ( where would the A-Pillar end up?)

In my memory these shorter inner sills belong to a 2000cs; as it was shorter in overall car length:
2000/2000cs: 4530 mm
Cs/Csi : 4630 mm
Csl : 4630 mm (due to thinner bumpers?)

The 2000/2000cs engine compartment needed to be stretched to accept 6 cylinder to make it an E9; I think to maintain the lines the rest of the body was stretched (proportionally) as well.
Wheel base is also 75 mm different (acc. wikipedia)
Are you sure you don't have a 2000cs body? ( I have no knowledge on any other 2000cs body clues, I only know about the inner sill difference)

mind you I do hope you have a CSL, but if you have a 2000cs body you're going to have hard time massaging CS/Csi/CSL parts that don't and never will fit....
Fingers crossed!

Rob F

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Eric,
Thank you for your concerns, But it is a true CSL ( No 188), I have full documented history of the car and the BMW certificate, matching engine/chassis Numbers, all outer panels are lightweight panels + I know previous owners of the car before it was stripped.
Rob

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Eric,
Thank you for your concerns, But it is a true CSL ( No 188), I have full documented history of the car and the BMW certificate, matching engine/chassis Numbers, all outer panels are lightweight panels + I know previous owners of the car before it was stripped.
Rob
Good to hear. Now just a little work ahead...
I'll be following!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk