CSL on BAT

stcos85

Reaction score
This just popped up in my notifications

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes guys and gals, I bought from Chuck, as he had put on here and it seemed to stay available for a long time, with lots of nice comments, but nobody picking up on it, at what seemed an extremely fair price.

I knew the car well as I was actually the under bidder in London when Chuck bought some 10 years before. Anyway, started talking to Chuck, who is an absolute gent and we worked out a fair deal for both sides and to be clear it was a very nice car, but I had some cosmetic work to do. Chuck had already improved what was a nice car.

I went to work on the car removing the BAT kit, the brace across the shock towers, the seam sealer in the engine bay, replacing chrome in very small areas that had been blacked and blacking things that were body color :) There is certainly a lot more could be done (underside being the big one) but I wanted to make it at least visually pleasing to my eye asap.

I had intended to keep the car as I love the color, but at the end of last year a deal came along on the works Sebring winner and while it had been on the market for a while, the owner and I chatted and we came to a deal that involved cars in trade. I offered him many other non BMW cars, but he insisted "Pete I want BMWs" so we came to a deal that traded the black M1 and the Ceylon CSL into his hands and I acquired the factory Sebring winning CSL driven by Redman, Stuck, Posey and Moffat.

Those that know me know, I have aims in the collection and am always trying to step up, improve the herd. As these were both cars I have doubles of and much better examples, it made a lot of sense to me. I have built the whole collection in this way, so if you ever see one of my old BMWs for sale, know that it has only left to put something better in my stable, or at least that I personally want more.

Hope that makes sense and please feel free to contact me, if anybody is interested in the old girl, at least you know where it has been the last few years.

Last edited:

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
@BMW Pete - was that the #25 car that was previously in the Henry Schmitt collection?
yes sir - I cannot tell you how chuffed I am (like a big kid) to now have added this to the collection.

Again, I have some work to improve it, taking it back to as close as possible to how it won at Sebring 1975 in Gp 4 specification, which I will be doing, having the correct IMSA front splitter made now and will of course be removing the Gp 5 rear wing and putting a standard Batmobile rear wing on it.

Interestingly BMW have kindly said, that now that I own it, they should be removing the 25 from their car. Don't know when or even if that will happen, but it is extremely kind of them to even say those words to me.

tempImagetGCOc6.png
tempImageHZtbu4.png

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
yes sir - I cannot tell you how chuffed I am (like a big kid) to now have added this to the collection.

Again, I have some work to improve it, taking it back to as close as possible to how it won at Sebring 1975 in Gp 4 specification, which I will be doing, having the correct IMSA front splitter made now and will of course be removing the Gp 5 rear wing and putting a standard Batmobile rear wing on it.

Interestingly BMW have kindly said, that now that I own it, they should be removing the 25 from their car. Don't know when or even if that will happen, but it is extremely kind of them to even say those words to me.
That's fantastic Pete! Congratulations! Yes, the notion that BMW would acknowledge that bit of a miscue is significant... Even in words, if not deeds.

I saw that car in Livermore with the 320i Turbo and the Black grp5 CSL that was being built up from a supposedly new factory motorsport shell that was unearthed somewhere (as the story went).

Here are a couple pics I snapped that day. Best of luck in returning it to its former glory!

20190318_092410.jpg
20190318_092415.jpg
20190318_104820.jpg
20190318_093549.jpg
20190318_093612.jpg
20190318_094733.jpg
20190318_092743.jpg
20190318_093327.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
saw this car at Amelia in 2014 - it was started at cars + coffee. oops, this has a different rear wing ... is it the same car?

1658255821699.png

1658255893646.png

1658255928781.png

1658255982197.png

and then there is these from the Amelia Concours the Calder car beyond - before all the people got in.
1658256044292.png

1658256078955.png

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@BMW Pete Other than improving your collection which is awesome, I am sure little things like the rocker trims being reversed and held on with screws and a few other details like the missing hood prop and the e3 jack must have bothered you. ;)

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@rsporsche I believe that's the car BMW was referring to when they told Pete, they would remove the number 25 from their CSL... The car in Pete's collection now is the real #25.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
@BMW Pete Other than improving your collection which is awesome, I am sure little things like the rocker trims being reversed and held on with screws and a few other details like the missing hood prop and the e3 jack must have bothered you. ;)
Hi Chris my friend,

I know you were aware of the things needed when I purchased as we spoke about it.

Many on my personal list I dealt with and some just didn't get around too, some you mentioned, but by at the time the deal was done I hadn't eaten through my list. Many cars mean my list is endless and I try to do as much as I can myself.

Things of the top of my head I didn't get to - mirrors, and importantly the underside I was going to have dry iced and detailed, all of course easy for the next owner, there are a few other small things, but as a rust free car, original engine, original color etc, its a very nice CSL and dare I say a little better than when we saw it at Legends. With a little more spend (I spent a decent amount) a new owner really could finish this to a very nice level.

BTW, I had a hood prop made for Henry and sent it to him at the weekend, so that issue will be corrected

Yes rsporsche not my car, but it is a works car, just a factory works car that was used for display mostly

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
@BMW Pete - when did the large IMSA wing get added to the car? Was the design rooted in early wind tunnel work? It's a biggin for sure
@tferrer It is a big-rear end - but, don't ever say that to a lady :)

1975 the car raced as a GP 4 car so had the standard looking rear wing and front spoiler. In March 1976 the car was back at Motorsport in Munich and the mechanics converted it to a GP 5, which necessitated a ton of mechanical changes and the Gp5 cow catcher on the front and the big ass rear wing. By then although still a BMW car, it was sponsored by Hermetite, so looked completely different and raced the 76 season "World Championship for Makes" as you can see below, including winning the six hours at Silverstone with Fitzpatrick and Walkinshaw. These gents were the two drivers throughout the 76 season, until its final race at Kyalami in South Africa, this last race for BMW was not part of the championship.

After that race this car was acquired by Vasek Polak, then to Henry Schmit and now me. I believe Vasek was the first person to paint it back to Motorsport white and I have done a little rubbing down in discreet places and you can still see the wonderful Hermetite colors under the white.

As a short piece of trivia on the car - John Fitzpatrick recently announced in a magazine article, that this very car was the best Saloon or Touring car he ever drove

E27E9C29-D134-4ABD-B938-7D3CF3B9118C_4_5005_c.jpeg

shanon

Reaction score
Nice car, GLWS!

Wonder if my fingerprints are still on the manual steering box I sold to Chuck years ago, neat. Or if it's still in his stash... ;)

Hey P, where did ya find the meaty Fulda tires? Gonna need some new shoes soon, they look right.