CSL Petri on ebay without a stupid reserve...

damienh

Reaction score
I’ve been keeping an eye on that, but i think it needs too much work to make it look nice, for me anyway. Is the leather original ?

Interested to see what others think.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This wheel is totally original and has not been restored. I have not attempted to clean, polish or repair it all. This is not a rubber/foam wheel that has been recovered, but the genuine, CSL only, leather version, with the longer, CSL hub.

As can be seen from the photos, there is very light pitting on the spokes that will polish out. The leather and stitching are in excellent condition for its age, with very little sign of wear or use. The leather to the rear of each spoke could do with some minor attention and re-fixing.

Complete and original, leather CSL Petri steering wheels are extremely rare, and do not often come up for sale.

I am by no means a Petri expert but I'll put myself out there and say that it is not original leather. The hub is correct though, as is the horn button. The spoke ends look like they have the wrong profile (not flared enough), but said flair may actually come from proper leather. If Petri deviated with the CSL wheel as much as they do with all of their other period wheels, then who knows. I would assert that CSL wheels never have leather that touches the perimeter of the lower hole, but the '74 UK brochure shows just that (albeit a tiny photo of the wheel). I don't own one, I'm not a Petri guru, and I'm not interested in this one.

Ebay:
petri_recovered.jpg

Genuine:
0D14ADF4-2275-41BC-BA68-5043A2891C16.jpeg

Genuine (photo brightened):
2970730F-0A75-4C83-BE84-84685EF3C264.jpeg

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the stitching looks correct, it obviously hasn't been stored in favorable conditions so that could affect the leather on the spoke. The hub is worth some bucks for sure.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
put look closely at the metal ... refinishing that means the leather comes off ... so you have several hundred dollars ahead to make it look correct.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The novelty of a Csl hub/ cover is only in conjunction with the Csl Petri Wheel. Hub alone for big bucks on a foam wheel is like bullets without a gun! And this Petri, real or not, is beyond help! Certainly not nice enough to adorn any car let alone a CSL.
Right Scott, a lot of TLC and money needed before this can return to its former beauty.

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why doesn't someone reproduce Petri wheels? How hard can it be? If I didn't have my day job, I would ask my friend who does a lot of manufacturing (of golf equipment and baby strollers) in Taiwan to look into it.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
the stitching looks correct, it obviously hasn't been stored in favorable conditions so that could affect the leather on the spoke. The hub is worth some bucks for sure.

Where is the stitching that runs laterally across
the leahernafter it leaves the foam? Also, the leather goes all the way to the spoke hole. Also, the seam on the back side of the spoke wrap has the wrong stitch.

Incorrect Stitch:
CAF7ACA9-4FAA-4458-8E5F-D9D504C5ECCE.jpeg

Missing This:
DBADC59D-05C6-460C-934F-AED5DC32AC8C.jpeg

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What @Markos had done with his Petri is the way to go. Don’t need to make new ones as he’s proved with his wheel.
It’s a process that takes some doing but in the future, might be the only way to go.
FB91F10A-CD39-4935-A3D6-A4673D468F06.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What @Markos had done with his Petri is the way to go. Don’t need to make new ones as he’s proved with his wheel.
It’s a process that takes some doing but in the future, might be the only way to go.

I agree, but you need to find the proper chrome. I’m not happy with mine (bead blasted show chrome). I should have used industrial hard chrome. It is difficult to find shops that do consumer orders. Fortunately it is used frequently for refinishing handguns, so small batches can be done if you mail it to a shop. Some shops will let you wrap the foam, others need it removed. If you do cut off the foam, the leather will conceal the seam. The foam sticks to the steel slightly, but if you are careful it comes off easily. Careful like removing a paper price tag off of something you purchased.

I won’t post any firearm picture here but Google:

“chrome handgun”

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree, but you need to find the proper chrome. I’m not happy with mine (bead blasted show chrome). I should have used industrial hard chrome. It is difficult to find shops that do consumer orders. Fortunately it is used frequently for refinishing handguns, so small batches can be done if you mail it to a shop. Some shops will let you wrap the foam, others need it removed. If you do cut off the foam, the leather will conceal the seam. The foam sticks to the steel slightly, but if you are careful it comes off easily. Careful like removing a paper price tag off of something you purchased.

I won’t post any firearm picture here but Google:

“chrome handgun”

If a forum member buys the wheel in question, he might want to get your opinion and support in bringing this Csl Petri back to its former glory. Would be worth it for sure since in its present condition, it hurts.....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If a forum member buys the wheel in question, he might want to get your opinion and support in bringing this Csl Petri back to its former glory. Would be worth it for sure since in its present condition, it hurts.....

Happy to help but as mentioned I am not a Petri expert. Someone with a CSL Petri in hand would be better suited. I’m like an art critique who has never seen the paintings in person. Wait the Mona Lisa is ~2’x2’ and covered in security glass? I must have missed that on Google images...

BTW - I have noted that there are a number of seemingly genuine or at least common CSL Petri wheels with a more crisp/modern leather spoke wrap. The stitching on the rim doesn’t change, and the profile/flare of the spoke end is the same though. Neither matches the wheel on eBay.

Example here:
http://www.lezebre.eu/car/bmw 30 csl/technical_characteristics/technical_steering wheel.htm

Last edited:

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm all about accessorizing but putting a $2K steering wheel on my car would do about as much as a Prada handbag in the hands of Mama Cass.
Ahh, Mama Cass. What a voice though. My dad played them non-stop in his 72 350sl Becker cassette. Just like the cars of that era, the music imprinted on me too.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
HIGHWAY ROBBERY ... somebody is going to be disppointed when it arrives ... unless they are primarily interested in the unobtanium CSL hub

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
HIGHWAY ROBBERY ... somebody is going to be disppointed when it arrives ... unless they are primarily interested in the unobtanium CSL hub

That’s some serious cash for a invisible hub...