CSL Shockie specs

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On my never ending list of parts for the CSL I need to replace the shocks. Sticking my head in the rear wheel well she looks to be running Koni's. These have been on the car since 1983 when she was laid up.

Looking at replacement options this week. Looks like their is a Bielsten rep in Sydney if I want to go that way.
Would be especially keen to hear what the other Aussie CSL did.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Old Konis are oil shocks and rebuildable Should be someone in OZ that can do them. iI had a set done in Phoenix to custom spec by foremost Koni rebuilder, Drawback was very expensive but all parts of his design. Something you might look into

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Koni has an 'in-house' shop in Kentucky that rebuilds or modifies their shocks. I had a set of stock internally adjustable Konis modified to be externally adjustable for my Porsche 928 S4. I drove the car to and from a lot of race tracks, and wanted a comfortable ride on highways, and the proper stiffness for the various tracks. Cost was about equivalent to the cost of the Konis originally!

I've also had some NOS e9 Konis I bought shop tested before installation. Their US policy is that any Koni sold after 5/1/1980 that are used for street driving are lifetime guaranteed to the original purchaser. Thus, even though my shocks had been manufactured in the '70's, but had not been sold until I bought them in 2016, they were tested free of charge.

Gary

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just for my education, what were the original shocks on a CSL? Which car had the alleged "upside down" shocks (piston shaft pointing down) in the rear?
Koni ride vs Bilstein?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Original shocks on Csl cars were comforts with progressive springs.