CSL v's CSi buying advice

E9Aus

Reaction score
Hi guys - here's a simple question that I'm sure will not have a simple answer - what do you think is a better buy: a CSL in rough shape for around 6,000 gbp or a good daily driver CSi for around 10,000 gbp?

I know you'll all rightly ask for details but here's all I have at the moment - CSL is in pretty rough shape but from 10 feet doesn't look too bad. It has a fair bit of rust which will need to be removed and repaired and then a full body respray, interior mostly to be redone (except for the back seats) and a fair bit of mech to do - most likely a full engine rebuild. The car is all there though, price reflects its condition I guess. Suffice to say I do not have a 50,000 pound restoration budget - I just want to get it on the road and then chip away at the bigger jobs over time happy in the knowledge I have my CSL.

For example - roughly how much would a full CSL engine rebuild cost?

CSi is not in need of any major work and is comfortably a daily driver. Minimal to hardly any rust.

I know the answer seems obvious - but it's a CSL man!!

Will try and get pics later but at this stage I do not have any.

Apologies for opening up pandora's box too ;o)

I have never owned an E9 before but love them and I am set on buying one.

All advice very much welcome. Cheers!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seems to depend on whether you are willing to defer your gratification, if you want it now then the CSi is the way to go and start enjoying the roads. If you are willing to put if off while you get the CSL sorted out, including time and money sunk, the CSL seems the choice.

You live in a spacious country, it is not unthinkable to get both and slowly work on the CSL. You may end up with a CSiL in the end.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Both cars normally needs a lot of attention and have the same tendency to rust. But if you renovate the CSi you will always think about the CSL you did not buy.

If you invest time and money in the CSL, you will always feel you did the right thing (even if the bill will be a little bit higher at the end).

However, the most important is to verify that the CSL is a real one. Do you have the VIN? To invest a lot of time and money and then having bad surprises is not really fun.

Most of the parts are the same for the both cars and are pretty affordable. The special CSL parts can still be found today, but will of course be more expensive.

The CSi will be more comfortable to drive compared to the CSL (unless it's not a RHD with city pack).

You only live once - go for the CSL if it's a true one - you will not regret it.

The alternative, if the money is there, buy both of them and enjoy the CSi as a daily drive and the CSL for special occasions.

In order to be able to advice you further, pictures and VIN of the CSL would help.

Cheers

Tierfreund

Reaction score
One thing to consider: A LHD CSL would be a bargain at 6000 gbp independent of the condition. Even a full restore would be financially viable.

RHD CSLs are plentifull though (somenthing about the importer ordering mostly CSLs with all options for certain model years) and thus, even in great condition worth far less than the LHDs

Since LHD gets converted to RHD quite often, I wonder when somenbody will get the idea of converting a UK CSL to LHD, restore it and sell it at a mighty profit.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are less RHD csls than LHD csls produced and given the salty roads/climate here vs some of the LHD countries I would be surprised if more RHD cars exist now than LHD. In terms of concentration of csls the UK must be by far and away this highest.

I also think a RHD car converted to LHD would be worth less than a sandard RHD car as its neither here nor there but I guess thats a personal thing.

There is one I have seen in the US - think its on Coupeking's site?

Regards,

Rohan

alvchua

Reaction score
Bottom line is how deep ur pockets are! I'm in Adelaide and have just completed the bare metal restoration of a Inka 2002tii - cost me close to $42K to get it to concourse! And this was starting with a base car that I thought was in quite good condition!
I am about to embark on a 3.0 CS restoration and knowing what I know now of BMWs built in the early 70s, one thing is certain rustproofing was definitely not a strong point! Yes a CSL would ultimately be more desirable in the long term but it all depends how good the CSi is in comparison! Everyone will have their opinion as to what their car is worth but bottom line is - how deep are your pockets and how long you plan to keep the car for! I am of the opinion that any money spent on "restoring" or accesories are definitely impossible to recoup especially if you plan to sell it in the next 5 years!
From what I gather, you are in Australia too like me and will have to bring the car in from overseas, compliance it etc - all up a process which can be quite costly! Personally if you can find one here, you are probably better off!

If you are interested in a Silver Adelaide based CS with one owner for more than 28 years, PM me.

Best of luck with ur decision making!

pamp

Reaction score
Csl

I started on my CS about four and a half years ago. Now wish I had picked up a CSL even as a starting point. Prices were still semi-sane at the time, I couldn't afford to touch one now.

E9Aus

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. OK here's the drum. I live in Australia so I have had to do this at arms length as the car is in the UK. I had a full inspection done and while this CSL is being sold at a reasonable price, I don't have the cash to restore it as much as needed once I get it to Aus.

Since the car is not mine and I have not bought it I'll leave it up to the seller to post pics and a VIN if he wants to. He does use these forums from time to time and I expect will continue to.

So it's back to the drawing board for me. Still on the lookout for a decent CSi or CSL either in Australia or UK - at a reasonable price - preferably light on rust (miracles can happen). I have some leads on CSi's here in Aus and will chase them up. But it kinda feels like I just met the girl of my dreams and dumped her to go off looking for something better - a bitter pill to swallow but good for me in the end I guess - financially that is.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a UK RHD 1972 CSL in need of some restoration please let me know and I will forward your details on to the seller. I'll leave it up to him if he wants to post the sale on the Forum.

Thanks to all for your input and advice.