Dash parts - are these unusual?

tygaboy

Reaction score
Hi all - E9 newbie owner so not familiar with the various configurations our cars may haves sported over their production run. I received a box of parts with my car and didn't immediately recognize a few of them. I did a little searching and think I know something but thought I'd get your verification:
- Is this an early "in dash" ashtray? If so, it's essentially perfect, looks to never have been installed. But it's missing its front panel, yes? There are two pull handles - one is perfect.
- Is the vent panel just a non-AC set up? It looks like it's set up for a radio or a radio and a couple switches? I tried to find pics of an interior that had a match to this but didn't find one. Also, found nothing when I did a general internet search on what I figured was the part number there on those stickers.
Interestingly, that ashtray is the same size as the opening in the vent panel... Or is that just coincidence?

Are any of these parts hard to find or desirable? I plan to keep my A/C and as a non smoker, have no need for ashtrays! ;)

Apologies if these are common, I'll do better as I become more knowledgeable.
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_4431.JPG
    IMG_4431.JPG
    587.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4432.JPG
    IMG_4432.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4433.JPG
    IMG_4433.JPG
    700.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4434.JPG
    IMG_4434.JPG
    682.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4435.JPG
    IMG_4435.JPG
    626.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4436.JPG
    IMG_4436.JPG
    642.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4437.JPG
    IMG_4437.JPG
    682.1 KB · Views: 99

Christoph

Reaction score
Very nice. Only thing missing, you thought as much, is an ashtray deck plate numbered "043226". Matching dashboard wood trim, too, but nobody will ever find that. The wood pieces got numbers to ensure matching ones were used for each car on assembly.

Think I've never seen an unused E3 ashtray before. Like the handles very much, too.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, if you want to part with the ashtray, give a holler as mine is well-used (not by me).

LeG9ND

Reaction score
@tygaboy The ashtray looks a lot like the central dashboard ashtray on my early e9. However mine has a slight arch and does have the rubber front to match with the grab bar.
1636928856985.jpeg

LeG9ND

Reaction score
This thread has some more information.

My car btw is a 3.0 Csi ‘74 with a new old dashboard. I have put in the ashtray to use as a stand for my iPhone. So I will have maps and music centrally places in my car. Haven’t finished that setup yet tho.