Dash Wood Pattern

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
Back working on my 3.0cs again, been a while. When I got the car it was partially disassembled, so some parts are a little fuzzy to me. Wondering if anyone has a pattern for the wood parts on the dash. My gauge cluster is fine, but the main vertical and horizontal parts were missing. I have all the door parts and can re-veneer. Can make new dash parts if I had a pattern to go off of.

Thanks,
David

Honolulu

Reaction score
David:

The upper door trims are pretty easy to make, for anyone even modestly possessed of woodworking ability, and without the originals as patterns. Suggest these parts be recreated in solid wood(s) of your choice. I did it for my coupe in koa, a native Hawaiian hardwood. The curved dash bits are another story.

A pattern for curved parts is going to be difficult to get. You'd need a flattened plan view, then a pattern for the curve, projected onto the horizontal plane. We'd all be interested if anyone comes out of the woods with such. As soon as I take out my dash I'll publish a pattern, but don't hold your breath. The dash bits of the last coupe I parted were so rotted that they fell apart in my hands, so I have nothing to volunteer. Though - I just thought - a pattern for the curve is simply a bit of 2D material scribed and cut to fit... hmm. That part may be easier than first thought, but what is really needed is someone that has a disassembled dash. Calling all such....

The "trick" is to create the underlying form, then get veneer stuck to the form. Vacuum bagging is only one way to go; you could as easily use sandbags or bags of water to press the veneer to the base. Even a bunch of spring clamps with proper cushioning will do it.

A great wood project while one is self-isolated from THE BUG.

jmackro

Reaction score
I believe that AristonSpeedShop is looking for the pattern of the base wood - not just the veneer. As I recall from when I had mine apart, that isn't simply a two-dimensional pattern (as would be the pattern for the veneer alone). The edges of the base are not at 90 degrees to the face, and that angle varies as you go around the perimeter. Then of course, you also need to bend the passenger side out to match the curve of the dash. (re-reading the thread, I see that Honolulu observed this too).

Forming one of these would be well beyond my (admittedly crude) woodworking skills!

I wouldn't think you'd need a pattern for just the veneer - wouldn't you glue on a somewhat oversized piece, and then trim it after the glue dried? But I'm just speculating; again, I'm no craftsman when it comes to wood.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The straight vertical part of the dash is easy enough, the curve at both ends is the challenge. Perhaps someone with a 3-D printer can make the curve and then attach to the straight portion. The seam and material of the curve would be covered by the veneer.

I spent weeks slowly rebuilding mine using a long 20G needle and syringe with wood glue, gluing the different layers one at a time. Finishing up with Minwax wood hardener for rotted wood. I bought the tray portion from Madera which fit well as mine was just dust upon removal.

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have no issues forming the curved part, done this kind of part many times, multiple layers of thin material, and now they have a plywood called "bender board" that a buddy on mine uses all the time in curved cabinet work. Veneer work is not too hard, lot of patience, and knowing how to trim it. A pattern would get me way closer than if I just start "going for it" with poster board.

I wish I had taken this car apart, life would be a lot simpler, but I keep telling myself I saved it !!

A little ways out on this part, so I can wait.

I am painting and and assembling the engine right now.

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
The straight vertical part of the dash is easy enough, the curve at both ends is the challenge. Perhaps someone with a 3-D printer can make the curve and then attach to the straight portion. The seam and material of the curve would be covered by the veneer.

I spent weeks slowly rebuilding mine using a long 20G needle and syringe with wood glue, gluing the different layers one at a time. Finishing up with Minwax wood hardener for rotted wood. I bought the tray portion from Madera which fit well as mine was just dust upon removal.

Who is Madera? Another member or parts house?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My friend Mike Stumbo in Freeport Maine made a buck for the upper dash pieces of his Coupe. He may chime in here.

jmackro

Reaction score
Sorry, I just found Madera's website, it was in my BMW Bookmarks.

I have nothing but good things to say about Madera. All of my dash wood (except the instrument cluster) was unusable. Madera provided new pieces - plus re-veneered the door and instrument pieces - and did a terrific job. Yes, it cost a few bucks, but I could never have duplicated that work, regardless of how many hours spent.

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have those patterns in my attic. I'll look for them tomorrow. I've got plenty of time on my hands. Foodsaver vacuum sealer is perfect for this job.
Whoa! Vraned is back. Dave, where have you been? How's the coupe running.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Patterns found. For the curved pieces, I made front and back templates to account for the curvature. The difference between them guides the curvature. The templates are sheet metal, I can make paper patterns for anyone who wants them.

Hi Luis! How's the Lambo?