Distrubutor Change

nealf

Reaction score
I have gotten an OEM 2800cs distributor to replace the hokey one I had. I have installed and I know the firing order, but which cylinders are which on my engine? The car would not start and I realized I do not know # 1,2,3 etc. Thanks.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Neal,

The cylinder closest to the front is number 1 and the one closest to the firewals is number 6.

When you put in the distributor it is best to have the engine at TDC. There is a mark (originally painted red) on the harmonic balancer that lines up with a notch on the front timing cover; unfortunately it is not humanlly possible to see with removing the lower raditor hose. There are also two marks on the flywheel: a silver ball (timing mark) at 22 degrees before TDC and another notch at TDC. These are visible through the timing portal on the driverside of the block / bell housing. I usually put my car in revese and push / rock it backward until I get the silver ball and then go more gently until I get the notch.

On the distributor you should see a small notch on the top lip where the cap rests. At TDC the rotor should be point roughly at this notch and the plug wire above the notch should be #1. The remaining wires should be installed clockwise from the number #1 wire according to the firing order. If you make these approximate alignments it should start.

Firing order (should be on valve cover) is: 152624

Good luck!

nealf

Reaction score
Flywheel mark Questions...

I have what looks like a "N", then 2 balls on the flywheel. The 'N' comes first when advancing the distributor, followed by the 2 silver balls....What do I do now? I find this easier that lining up the marks on the front crank. Excuse my ignorance....Thanks.