Disturbing noise

ian t

Reaction score
Urgently require some advice. Just put the CSI back on the road for Summer and whilst pushing the right pedal further to the floor at about 4500rpm the engine decided to turn into a bag of nails with the sound to go with it. I have renewed all the HT leads which has definetly quietened it down but it is still making a very disturbing loud knocking and pinking sound. Any suggestions? I am looking at maybe the Distributor next and will probably take it off and check it in the morning but any further suggestions could help before i replace too much

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Engine noise

Could be something as basic as pre-detonation (knocking) due to old gas (your first drive of the year right?) or change in the octane rating.

Doug
(sunny in Canmore!!!)

Malc

Reaction score
I agree with Doug. If Your Csi has been sitting in a garage for 3 months or so the petrol could of gone "off", you could have "sticky" injectors where the old petrol has evaporated, leaving a nice gummy mess

Suggest that you nip down to Halford's or similar and buy a container of Redex injector cleaner, tip it in and top up with fuel then go for a bit of a blast and see if that helps. It's a cheap option before diving into the motor!

A change of fuel filter afterwards would be a good idea too, as Redex "picks up" the sh*T in the tank.

I service my cars as soon as they come out of hibernation, seems to help.

Finally you can get some stuff to tip in the tank when your going to store a car, can't remember what it's called but i believe Frost UK sell it. Supposed to stop gumming/ evaporation etc from occurring.

HTH
Malc