Do E12 Front and Rear Sway Bars Fit the Bavaria?

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
I'm loving my Bavaria, but it has no rear sway bar and a thin front bar. I see references to E12 bars fitting the Bav, and RealOEM seems to verify that the 16mm rear bar, part number 33551123944 , also crosses to E12 and early E24, but it doesn't confirm cross-matching of the front bar. Anyone actually do this and have it work?

Related question: I see the Addco 889 (front) and Addco 250 (rear) referenced as fitting the E3, E9, and E12, and the Suspension Techniques 50015 (front) and 51015 (rear) as fitting the E12, without references to the E3 or E9. I'd wager it's these ST bars I have in my E9, though it was 20 years ago. Has anyone actually put any of these in an E3?

--Rob

Last edited:

chope97

Reaction score
Custom Sway Bar

In the seventies and 80s a BMW repair shop in Rockville Md used to make a custom Bavaria sway bars for the front. They would take a stock bar and weld a second bar to the straight part which goes across the car. I have owned an E3 since the early 80s. My current E3 is in process of being brought back to being road worthy after an accident 7 years ago

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The e12 bars fit but the factory e12 front bar dips down a bit at the ends, Lotus7 (John) did this recently. The rear bar fits fine, even put one on my NK which didn't have a rear bar, it's the same as a 2800CS.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Interestingly, some web sites list the Suspension Techniques 52015 Kit (50015 and 51015) as fitting the E3, E9, E12, and early E24. I may need to buy and try.

windnsea

Reaction score
The Suspension Techniques bars for an E12 will also fit an E3. Have done a few of these for friends some years back.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
When you finish this project, how about a head to head comparison of ST vs stock bars? I wanna see how much the ST's add.

NB: If the ST's don't come with links, look at the IE poly links with larger bolts. Rob

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Jegs has the ST 52015 set, shipped, for $272. I have these in my E9 and have been very happy with them. Confirming what others have said, they list it as fitting E3, E9, E12, and early E24. At first I thought I'd dig up the original rear sway bar from the E9 (must be somewhere) and throw it on the back of the E3, but for that price, I can't say no.

Bavman

Reaction score
I have a supply of early euro 635 (e12) bars if anyone is interested, can measure and maybe do some photos. A trick we used on the race car is welding a piece of square tube onto the frame mount bracket, si was basically wedged between the subframe and the frame rail above, that with a poly bush would really stiffen it up.

Thanks

Al Taylor

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Jegs must've raised their price after I bought mine

Honestly, this is my e-mailed receipt from Jegs. Glad I hit "buy" when I saw the price. Guess I was just lucky that they honored it.

Please visit us again at
Thank you again for shopping at JEGS!

Your invoice number is 290217082314. For quality assurance,
this order has been scanned
and weighed electronically.
Please print and retain this page for your records.

This order will be shipped to:
SIEGEL ROBERT
19 MAGUE PL

WEST NEWTON MA 02465

Sale Type CRED. CARD AME Sales Person:NET
Order Qty Ship Qty Part Number Description Unit Price Extended
Contents of Carton No.: 1
1 1 876-52015 72-78 530 swaybar 271.99 271.99

For additional details on your order click here

Shipped via: Direct From Vendor
Sub-Total 271.99
COD Fee .00
Expected to Ship Shipping .00
Expected Delivery Free Handling .00
Package tracking will be Sales Tax .00
available in 24 hours. Less Deposit .00
TOTAL 271.99

For Return Info, please click here

If you have any questions about this order, please contact us at :

Jegs High Performance
101 Jegs Place
Delaware, OH 43015
USA
Telephone: 1-800-345-4545

Thank you and have a nice day!

ahab

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rob, I just read your article in the new Roundel Weekly and boy am I glad I did. I was familiar with this thread so I had a feeling I knew what was coming. I didn't. Great read and as an added bonus, between spending a few hours last weekend sorting boxes upon boxes of BMW hardware, and the tips and watchouts outlined in your article I think we have effectively cut the install time in half!

ah_nuts.JPG

Last edited:

Bav3.5

Reaction score
For anyone interested, Suspension Techniques has a $75 rebate on sway bar sets at this time. Purchases must be made by April 30th, 2016.

Here is my breakdown purchasing through Jegs:

ST 52015: $343
Shipping: $0
Tax: $0
(Rebate): -$75

So, the total was $268, and in my case, it arrived in 1 day to S. CA

Tim