door brake fix/replacement solution?

Tundra

Reaction score
My passenger door brake broke. A replacement can be found sometimes on ebay for + $50. or new from Tomkinson for over $90. I found a suitable replacement at a local “U-pull U-pay” auto recycler. It came off a 1989 Mercedes 300. I don’t recall the exact model but it was not an SEL. It was a smaller 4 door.

In the first picture you see the e9 door brake on the left. On the right is the Mercedes door brake. You can see it’s a different construct and in my opinion much more solid. Its made out of steel rather than aluminum as the e9 are. It’s the same length for door opening (unlike the 2002 door brakes) and fits in perfectly. On the Mercedes, the door brake is held by 3 bolts whereas it’s held by 2 bolts on the e9. So no problem.

To the right of the Mercedes door brake is a plastic cover, similar to the cover used on some window motors on the e9. While nice, this cover could not be used on the e9 because of space limitation of the e9 door. The 2-3 millimeters thickness of that cover does make a difference when trying to install on the e9. There is also a rubber cover that can be used to cover the part where the securing pin goes in.

The only issue I encountered was the “pin” itself. As you can see from the first picture the BMW pin is smaller than the Mercedes pin. So while the BMW pin would fit to secure the door brake arm to the car body, it’s too small in thickness for the Mercedes “arm” and leaves too much “play”. Because of that, there is a noise whenever the door is opened or closed. So you need to be creative here. If you look again at the first picture there is a “sleeve” (pointed out by the pencil) inside the e9 “arm” . That sleeve is also too thick to fit on the Mercedes arm so I had to make my own sleeve. Another option could have been to enlarge the holes where the pin goes in (at the car frame) but then you would be stuck in always having to use a mercedes door brake and pin. I didn't want to box myself in that way.

I went to Home Depot and Lowes to find something suitable and everything was either too thick or too small. I finally settled on a plastic/rubber cap that you can see on the second picture next to the straight blade. I cut the end off and inserted it fully into the “arm” as you can see in the third picture pointed out by a pencil. I could then use the BMW pin.

The 4th picture show the cover over the door brake. Since the e9 doesn’t use a cover there was no need to used it here either and it wouldn’t fit anyway as mentioned above. The 5th pictures show the small rubber cover for the pin section. Picture #6 shows the installed door brake and the rubber cover over the pin. Picture #7 shows it without that rubber cover. The last picture is a close up of the installed rubber cover.

The door now opens wide as it should in both positions. The red markings you see is the Mercedes body paint. That door had been repainted at some point. I’ll have to clean it up better.

The cost for the Mercedes door brake was $4.00 each so I got all four off the car. I’ll need the extra ones for my other coupe. $4.00 for a solid door brake vs $90.00 for a new one that may eventually brake again is a no brainer unless you’re a purist and must have an e9 door brake. There may be other door brakes that would fit our car.

Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had the same pin issue with my mercedes brake, I used a silicon vacuum tube to keep it tight but your solution looks better. What is the Hillman part number on the bag?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't know why the brakes can't be flipped over and used on either side, they are mirror images this way. Yes, the third bolt isn't needed. These are the same brakes we discussed several years ago and fit great, the pin is the one area which needed some fitting.

Tundra

Reaction score
Steve,

The bar code # is 0 08236 7 1428 9. The Hillman # is 881037 and is called "Screw Protector". Got it at Lowes in their 'Specialty screws and bolts Section'.

Tundra

Reaction score
I don't know why the brakes can't be flipped over and used on either side, they are mirror images this way. Yes, the third bolt isn't needed. These are the same brakes we discussed several years ago and fit great, the pin is the one area which needed some fitting.

I looked at it again. I misunderstood your point. Yes, you can flip to make it fit on either door (I will edit my first post, thank you for correcting me) but you cannot flip it inside the door to use the third bolt.

Last edited:

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was able to get the covers to fit on both doors. I trimmed the top so the bolts would clear the top of the plastic sleeve. Shorter bolts would do the trick as well.

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a great solution especially considering that the new BMW door brakes do not look like the old ones! Now only if we could configure a list of the Mercedes models that have the door brake you used. Thanks Andre

Tundra

Reaction score
This is a great solution especially considering that the new BMW door brakes do not look like the old ones! Now only if we could configure a list of the Mercedes models that have the door brake you used. Thanks Andre

I checked the door brake. There is no part # anywhere on it or anything identifying it as a Mercedes part. There are however 2 numbers stamped on 2 that I checked, one has #59 the other has #99.

The plastic cover however does state Mercedes Benz, has the logo but also no part #. It also has presumably the manufacturer "Friefi" stamped on it.

Some research shows you can buy them brand new at the following two sites. Autohausaz has it at $15.48 without the cover and not OE. Part #'s are listed on that site. Judging from the pictures they look exactly what I struggled to get off the Mercedes at the junk yard. Sheesh, who knew???

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...mSwpqzt_DVS1WnsmB1p-dw1K29bN04GEFwaAsYP8P8HAQ

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1673142/...2QtWFLMMI27rrDww-avWS2aMtClOtlJ0noaAulu8P8HAQ

Remember you will still need to deal with the pin issue but at least the brakes are available brand new.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The easy pin fix....

320i door brake from bone yard. 10 bucks
2002 door brake pin. 2 bucks
3.0 cs blue evaporator plastic hose from cannister to trunk. Free

Cut 3/4 inch of plastic hose then split lengthwise on one side.

Bench grinder to fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 457

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used one of those ebay ones and I had to do a little grinding down on the piece where the pin goes through to fit it between the tabs on the door jamb. Other than that it worked really well and fit into the door without a problem. I did this for a friend and as long as I had the car with me there was no problem, can't testify to the longevity.

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
Archery shops regularly cut down alloy arrows by an inch or 2 to fit a customer's reach. Several of the common arrow sizes solve the "pin popping" issue by snugging up the fit. Ask for a free handful of trims next time you're near one. I like the hard nylon tube fix too.

Swobber

Reaction score
This was a great tip!

Ive bought 2 new ones, at ~20$ each they didnt break the bank.

I flipped it over 180 degrees, so the bolthole at the end of the brake could be bolted on to the door.

John S

Reaction score
Nylon insert

I was able to find a nylon spacer at the local Ace Hardware store that had an outer diameter of about 6mm that fit the door brake. The inner hole was too small, so I used a 5mm drill bit to bore it out. You need to have a 6mm outer diameter and a 5mm+ inner diameter to fit the stock BMW pin which is 5mm x 30mm long. The Mercedes part number for the door brakes: 129 720 01 16 and for those rubber seals on the door pillar: 201 727 04 30. I paid about $35 each for the door brakes and $2 each for the seals new from Mercedes. The nylon spacers were 30 cents a piece from Ace. With the Mercedes door brakes, they can only be installed one-way (correctly). The open side of the door brake and the open notch on the rubber seal always faces out towards the exterior of the car. Pictures attached:

Attachments

• NylonSpacer1.jpg
    NylonSpacer1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 346
  • NylonSpacer3.jpg
    NylonSpacer3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 329
  • NylonSpacer2.jpg
    NylonSpacer2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 332
  • NylonSpacer4.jpg
    NylonSpacer4.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 324
  • NylonSpacer5.jpg
    NylonSpacer5.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 322
  • NylonSpacer6.jpg
    NylonSpacer6.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 339
  • NylonSpacer7.jpg
    NylonSpacer7.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 321
  • DoorBrake0.jpg
    DoorBrake0.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 337
  • DoorBrake1.jpg
    DoorBrake1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 333
  • DoorBrake2.jpg
    DoorBrake2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

John S

Reaction score
The rest of the pictures

More pics:

Attachments

• MBSeals.jpg
    MBSeals.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 5mmX30mmBolt.jpg
    5mmX30mmBolt.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 342
  • NylonSpacer8.jpg
    NylonSpacer8.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 311

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great tip Jon, now I can stop that annoying click, though I must say finding an ACE hardware is getting as hard as a NOS pair of door brakes -

Peter

John S

Reaction score
Great tip Jon, now I can stop that annoying click, though I must say finding an ACE hardware is getting as hard as a NOS pair of door brakes -

Peter

I feel lucky that we still have two of them in our little town (Watsonville CA). They have a section in the back of the store with a good assortment of metric nuts, bolts, washers, nylon spacers, rubber grommets and all kinds of odd little bits that are needed from time to time. If you can't find the nylon spacers let me know am I'll get some more. The kid at the store thinks I'm crazy when I come in with a pair of calipers to measure what they've got and then leave with 60 cents worth of spacers