Door Brakes (Checks/Stops)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This thread had an extensive discussion on door brakes:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11538&highlight=door+brakes

I have finally installed a new MB door brake in the coupe and it fits perfectly. They are available from $20-$35 on eBay. My passenger door had the later BMW replacement and is longer (90mm), too long according to some opinions, vs. the MB (85mm). I hate removing the armrest because it is always a pain to align the screws when reinstalling but I bit the bullet.

You need to reuse the bushing inside your current brake and I elected to use a 4mm bolt instead of the pin, which is available new, because they are hard to get in place and even harder to remove. See photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_1024.jpg
    IMG_1024.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 353

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great info. I was going to PM you to ask about this. What is the feel like ? I'll go the same route.

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
two positions

the door has two difinitive locking locations. one with enough room to easily get in and out of the car, another that opens the door all the way without compromising the door or hinges.

coming from doors that just swing as far has they want it is much better and makes the open close process feel more solid and aligned.
i do not know how it was with the standard e9 door locking mechanism.

Dave G

Reaction score
I bought MB Part #126 720 05 16, here is one for $10!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Do...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ceb98f99&vxp=mtr

I think 129 720 01 16 is very similar and perhaps the same, I think I have one of each.
Chris & all - The MB 126 720 05 16 Door Stops by Febi are currently listed on FCPEuro for $14.99 ea, lifetime warranty. Thanks for the thread and PN's! - Dave

Mike Goble

Reaction score
My passenger side door brake is broken as well. I went to P-n-P and grabbed a few MBZ door brakes. In the picture, the broken E3 brake is on top, followed by a W124 brake, a W201 brake, and E28 brake, and a W201 brake with a nice cover.
The difference between the W124 and W201 is the rear mounting hole. It's canted a little on the W124 brake.
The MBZ pins are 6.25mm and come with a clip on the end. My bent E3 pin is 5mm with no clip.
Looks like I'm going to bore the E3 mounting hole out to 6.25mm - roughly 1/4"
IMG_3390.jpg

Mike Goble

Reaction score
The MBZ door brake worked so well that I changed out my driver's side as well. It's a 2-position door brake so you can have your door halfway open or all the way open.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
The MB brake works great. But it is all about the pin or bolt that you use/reuse to secure the arm to the door. Nice to have something new and not worn out, to eliminate any slop in the operation of the mechanism.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m assuming there’s no readily available replacement for the bushing in the door brake for the pin? Have an E12 here that appears to have gotten a fresh MB door brake. So little meat on the brackets on the car I’m afraid to drill those holes out.