Door fettling advice

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
This weekend I'm diving into my driver's door, to see if I can improve its fit and reduce wind noise. I have two questions
First up, I have bought a new-to-me wood trim for the door, as the veneer was starting to split on the original. The new wood clashes with the quarter light adjuster knob, see photo where the adjuster shaft is clearly not central in the cut out. I can't recall if the issue was there with the original wood also, but everything else looks great on the fit, ie the screw hole for the handle and the fit at the front and back of the door. Is there a way to adjust the quarter lighter knob position?

Second up, the moving metal plate in the a-pillar which the hinge screws fit to, can I access this in the rear of the wheel arch? Just wondering if it's a good plan to take the wheel arch liner out to improve ease of adjusting the hinge positions.

Actually, three questions, should the hinge screws be painted, or zinc passivated? Sketchy paint looks sketchy...

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 119

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Drew,
I have done several resto's on wood pcs, and more often than not, a non-factory-looking-cut always exists, and confused me...I don't know why this happened, but it must be common...Perhaps even the (crude) cuts were factory upon occasion, as it was an easy fix to fit, and doesn't really show, when the new cars were being trimmed out at the end of the production line...or it came when cars were being repainted, window removed, and re-fitted? Hand made cars, remember...See below. One on the bott is as I received it, the top one is in the process of being repaired...looked similar to the one on the bottom..Once you get the window/vent the way you want them (getting rid of the whistle), then see where you are...you may have to extend the cutout...
Sorry, cant help on part two...
Dave V. in NC

Attachments

• vent knob cutout.JPG
    vent knob cutout.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 125

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
First up... Yes you can adjust the 1/4 window gearbox side to side, the mount holes are slotted. But you also have a mounting bolt that attaches to glass frame.... You may get lucky.
Third up.... Not sure what "factory" is, but I bought new zinc bolts through W/N and they look pretty un-painted.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hinge plate is not accessible from the wheel well. Wood might be able to move slightly on the metal base plate from the backside as well.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good info guys, many thanks. Think I first need to undo the upper hinge fully from the car to see why I can't move the door inboard any further. Currently the leading edge of the door is proud of the wing/fender by 1-2mm at the top. I tried loosening the hinge, but the door would not move further inwards, only outwards
I'm a bit worried that it I fully remove all 4 screws attaching the hinge to the A-pillar, I will somehow lose the metal plate and not be able to refit the door