Driveshaft swapping g260/6 trans

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my infinite efforts to spend less and do cool stuff, I've worked out my driveshaft.
The project is an m30b34 swap with a g260/6 transmission. It's the unpopular choice for lack of speedo drive, and the fact that it's 2.5 inches shorter than the very expensive g265/6.
I thought I was going to have to have my DS lengthened (my DS is from my auto BW65) and after some calls, found out it would be about $400.
Cue the penny pinch music, I took my DS to a bmw scrap yard and started sizing it. Some digging and a bit of a mess and I've discovered that the e30 318is front half is exactly to the mm the correct length and fits the e3 rear half. Nice thing is that I can keep the center bearing in the right place.
Here's a pic for the record books and future searchers. (The front flange is lined up, you can see the difference at the universal)
received_959967224513413.jpeg

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my infinite efforts to spend less and do cool stuff, I've worked out my driveshaft.
The project is an m30b34 swap with a g260/6 transmission. It's the unpopular choice for lack of speedo drive, and the fact that it's 2.5 inches shorter than the very expensive g265/6.
I thought I was going to have to have my DS lengthened (my DS is from my auto BW65) and after some calls, found out it would be about $400.
Cue the penny pinch music, I took my DS to a bmw scrap yard and started sizing it. Some digging and a bit of a mess and I've discovered that the e30 318is front half is exactly to the mm the correct length and fits the e3 rear half. Nice thing is that I can keep the center bearing in the right place.
Here's a pic for the record books and future searchers. (The front flange is lined up, you can see the difference at the universal)View attachment 102785
Is it from an automatic or manual transmission car?

ahab

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm going to say it was a manual. The auto cars have a four bolt flange similar to the diff flange at the other end. Manual cars have the three bolt flange for the guibo.

Last edited: