E3 2800 ‘69 Automatic question

americium

Reaction score
There are pictures of this car in the E3 Registry, VIN 246087. So I just got this old girl running after it’s been sitting for a couple years. I took a leap of faith buying it and fortunately it isn’t too bad. I rebuilt the rear calipers, put rebuilt calipers on the front and rebuilt the master cylinder (Carl helped out with the master cyl rebuild kit, we lamented on how the kits used to be cheap). With good brakes I took it out for a test ride and all seems ok, except....

My question is regarding the automatic trans. Looking at the selector it has Park, Reverse, O, A and 2. Reverse works, A works and I didn’t try 2. But when I put it in O, which I thought meant Overdrive, it is like it’s in neutral. Any ideas why O would not be working and acting like neutral?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You have a three speed ZF automatic, there is no overdrive, 2 is second gear, A is Drive, O is neutral.
90A4E85C-5251-4B92-809F-77E5739D183F.jpeg

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
ZF takes Dexron fluid. BW takes Type F.
See the FAQ section for a thread titled What Automatic Transmission Do I Have

americium

Reaction score
Chris, I haven’t seen it yet, I just checked the box. Delivery has not been consistent lately, might see it tomorrow.

In an earlier post you said I have a ZF 3 speed, did you mean BW?

americium

Reaction score
Great! That means it didn‘t get lifted! And thanks on the trans type. Then I will go with dexron as Eric mentioned, thanks Eric.