E3 3.0 Si Estate

jmackro

Reaction score
Can't say I find it attractive. The rear of the car seems to droop. And the Hofmeister kink - which looks so great on the e3 and e9 - just looks fussy here since that line isn't carried into the rearmost side glass.
9658653.jpg

9658649.jpg

In my opinion, a much better-executed estate wagon, derived from a sedan, is the Volvo 122. The roofline was kept horizontal, and the pillars all match. But of course, this comparison isn't fair: BMW just built a few of these e3 wagons so couldn't justify investing in the tooling to do it right.

images

Last edited:

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
The rear of the car seems to droop.
while I agree with what you're saying, they followed the lines of the car, which is period styling for the early 70s. If they changed the roof line, hip line, and redesigned the top of the rear doors, it would be a massive amount of work that probably wouldn't net any extra sales.

jmackro

Reaction score
If they changed the roof line, hip line, and redesigned the top of the rear doors, it would be a massive amount of work....
Right! As I said in post #5: BMW just built a few of these e3 wagons so couldn't justify investing in the tooling to do it right.
....that probably wouldn't net any extra sales.
It appears that they didn't sell any. The write-up on the "Classic Heros" site says: BMW Motorsport did build some estate versions (Kombis) for internal use and these cars acted as support vehicles to the rally campaign of the works 2002 TIs

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought they were built by a coachworks company that did conversions on order, but I may be confusing that with the 7 series wagons.