E3 at Seattle pick 'n pull (what should i grab)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm going to the pick 'n pull tomorrow to find a receiver hitch for my Jeep. I noticed that they have this E3 in their inventory, arrived yesterday. Given that there are very few E3 owners around, I assume that it will be no more picked over than it already is. Is there anything of value or interest that I should consider grabbing for a fellow enthusiast?

Thanks!

decf558a-ab76-4298-aec7-4316759c65f3.JPG

http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/3105116

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Might as well grab that kidney, if original bus steering wheel (hard to tell looks like a smaller steering wheel) and its in good shape grab that. Any knobs, interested in AC knob particularly, if original radio still there and of course any tools in trunk. Search around, you never know what ends up in the trunks. Thanks....I'll take all those if in decent shape, price is worth your time, etc. Interior looks pretty picked apart but check glove box too. See if anything still in there. Check if wheels are 4/73?

jmackro

Reaction score
If it still has the cylindrical relays next to the battery box, grab those. Most everything else underhood fits an e9, so it just depends on how many spares you want to stockpile!

Forget the red screwdrivers though - those things are a dime a dozen.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
for the record, I don't own an E3/E9. I registered because I almost purchased one a few months back. I'm hoping the seller will budge.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
A dime a dozen. Explains why some ass at the BMW CCA show in Boston last summer stole mine while my car was on display.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unfortunately that is what it is coming down to. Unless you are sitting near the trunk of your car at the show, close it and lock it up until you do. You would think the BMW crowd would never do something like that but........ your a good case in point, sorry that happened, what a bummer. Where you able to find another set eventually? I was lucky mine came with car.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car was a one owner with the toolkit complete. When on display, the trunk has to be clean of everything and the toolkit exposed. I lost the small red one only. The wonderful thing was my E24 group offered two for nothing to me. Believing that someday, they would need theirs, Carl Nelson helped me out at a very fair price. My Bav is whole again. Next year I show my M6 and I will be using a Bear trap instead of a clamshell to hold the toolkit.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice nice yes Carl is helping me source some parts as well.......I'm third owner and was very surprised at how complete the car actually is. I'm doing a window out so will be needing all new rubber etc. he's helping with that. One thing you may be able to help with is the rubber behind the trim pieces, any good source for that? Not sure if that was discussed. Most of it will be able to be reused but would rather have new. Luckily it is flat and can always be cut out of a flat piece of rubber w/ same thickness but a pain if it is readily available.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
well the E3 was pretty picked over. Only a few trim pieces, nothing with the line. Two of the silver cylinders were up front, but looked pretty corroded (are these hard to find new?). They kidney was slightly damaged. Both zeniths were attached. The interior was shot, but I found the wheel. I stuck it in the car next to the e3 in case anyone from Seattle reads this. I wasn't sure if it was the bus wheel. The part number looks like 240173. It was in decent shape. I have reconditioned worse with some fine sandpaper and leather dye. The steel wheels.were 1/73.

the car had been sitting outside for years. Let me know if there is any compelling reason to revisit the car.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey no worries, that was super nice of you to go over, look at it, and check out the items I mentioned, very cool of you! Dang, only three months off on the wheels! :) What I meant by bus wheel was just a nickname for the original steering wheel like you would find in a big bus. There is no power steering as you know so the bigger the steering wheel, the easier it is to turn the wheels. Pretty much one finger as opposed to the smaller sportier MOMO's etc. But it didn't quite look right, you only had that one picture it was very hard to tell. Most of it was covered up. I don't know the part number off top of my head.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
By trim I assume you mean the moldings along the length of the car? Some are still available from the dealer but when I ordered them, they had to come mostly from Germany. Some got bent along the way. If I had to reuse them, I used 0000 steel wool and WD-40 on the rubber and it cleaned them up nicely. If you use new fasteners, they do not stick out far enough to engage the lip on the molding, you need to put an O-ring behind them, cannot recall the size. This makes them stick out just enough but also seals the hole. I stripped my car bare myslef before respray and put it all back myself....and those new moldings were a PIA, especially front and rear that curve.

NB: Markos, thanks for taking the time. There are no E3's to pick at here, not even E24's. My son is in college in Portland, I actually went to a few yards there while visiting, picked up a few small parts.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll take that steering wheel if you do go back, that is the correct wheel, I just need the center piece but will buy the whole thing off you. Let me know if it is still there. I PM'ed you about the steel wheels, let me know what you want to do on that too. Thanks!

jmackro

Reaction score
Two of the silver cylinders were up front, but looked pretty corroded (are these hard to find new?).

I believe the cylindrical relays are impossible to find new. Modern relays will plug into the sockets, but they are cubic, rather than cylindrical in shape. So there is some demand from restorers for the original style, cylindrical relays.

I just mentioned them because they are easy to grab. If the ones on this e3 are corroded to death, then maybe they aren't worthwhile getting.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was quoted $80 in total for the wheels, steering wheel, head, and zeniths. Seems like a great deal to me.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll take is markos, the wheels and steering wheel, thank you. The head and zeniths i will take too but that is maybe for someone else? I'll PM you my phone number..

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update,

Another Seattle member is heading to the yard this weekend, likely taking most of the parts that I mentioned. I let him know what you all were after in the PM's. Hopefully you can share the wealth. I will take a look if I make it back this weekend.

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey group, it's Steve-o here...
I think i'm the guy Markos is referring to that's planning on heading up to grab bav parts, probably monday is the day for me. (Thanks Markos!)

I'm after the steering wheel, some seat trim parts, misc interior bits and probably a bunch of screws/bolts/small stuff that will work on my coupe. So not alot for me.

PM me your lists and i'm wiling to grab most small to medium sized parts for you, but only if you're serious and committed to following through with buying/payment. BTW- i'm not gonna gouge anyone on prices here, simply "payin' it forward" and spreading some love to the forum. I will charge you close to my actual costs, with just a small 'Hassle Tax' added for the time/labor and shipping considerations.

if you shoot me a good mobile #, i can call/text/pic you when i'm there too.

let me know, amigos!

Steve

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I suggest grabbing the idle cut off solenoids from the Zeniths, they're pricey and good to have as backups.