E3 Hood (Bonnet) Torsion Springs

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The hood in my Bavaria does not stay up. In fact, there is no tension at all on the torsion springs. Can these be serviced somehow or is it a sign that the springs are broken?

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Check the end pieces. They are replaceable. The pieces that bolt onto the arms.

Attachments

• B119201B-3E10-423C-8C15-C735BD880209.jpeg
    B119201B-3E10-423C-8C15-C735BD880209.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 129

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I should have taken mine apart before I posted. Is it these end pieces that break?
They can....or get worn. Make sure the system is installed correctly as well.
The torsion springs can break as well.
I believe these parts are still available at BMW.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Check the end pieces. They are replaceable. The pieces that bolt onto the arms.

You nailed it. Both ends are pretty well chewed up allowing the springs to rotate some before they start doing any good...

IMG_3635.jpeg

IMG_3634.jpeg

The springs seem to be intact.

IMG_3636.jpeg

I'm not sure what would cause this other than 47 years of opening and closing the hood?

americium

Reaction score
I ordered a set from WallothNesch (or however it’s spelled. Fixed up my hood lift system nicely. They appear to be made from some cheap cast metal, I was thinking they could be improved by machining them from billet aluminum, 6061 T6. Or SS would be nice.

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks - will look at their site. I think mine must have cracked at some point and someone did a really poor job of welding them ….

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
One of my end pieces was bad on my E3 but I was able to use two good ones from a 2002 parts car I have. They're slightly different so I changed both but they bold right on.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
just linking topics; here is a good solution when you catch a bit earlier then when @Dick Steinkamp found out: insert a steel sleeve

1674485957429.png
1674485982988.png

and some tips here:

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there a DIY for the E3 torsion bar like the E9? The "L" brackets on the E9 do not exist on the E3 so you cannot torque them to position, keep them in position like a mousetrap and then install. I ended up using a small C-clamp to slowly rotate the ends into place. Sadly, the ends are a bit distorted after 6 years so the hood stays up but a slight wind in the right direction and it comes down.

Fritzie's fix is a good one and looks easier for the E3 also. Gonna give it a try when it thaws out around here. Fritzie what gauge steel is that?