e3 on BAT....

BorgBmw

Reaction score
Nice example, currently at 36k with 5 days left. Looks on track to crack 40K and set a new record. Makes me feel good about my recent investments...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

BorgBmw

Reaction score

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A beauty. Following the auction and might even bid if it doesn't go nuts... we had a '75 530i in nearly the identical configuration...

Binder1_Page_17 (2).jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's pretty much already gone nuts. The combo of record breaking prices for collector cars these days coming out of COVID and a very special Bavaria. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it will do $60k.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That's my guess, too... was hoping closer to $50K but recognized a potential frenzy when it was listed. Same for the blue M635.

Truly regret not buying a good 3.0Si a couple of years ago... Bav's are common by comparison.

BorgBmw

Reaction score
50k would be impressive IMO and 60k would be insanity, regardless good to see e3s getting some recognition.

Bearmw

Reaction score
This helps reinforce that I made a good decision picking up my Agave 72 a couple of years ago. At times I question it. Now I need to put in the time to get it on the road after taking it apart without having driven it. The good idea was getting the car. The questionable idea was trying to improve everything rather than just fixing what was broken.

That's a gorgeous example and I will guess it goes for 53k. E3s have been undervalued.

CSBM5

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if it goes way higher than $50k...nothing in the current hyper-inflation time can surprise me anymore since my "surprise-meter" is now defunct after being pegged for so long.

On a side note, does anyone have any thoughts on undercarriage restoration on a car like this one? I feel like if I owned it I would want to fully cleanse that undercarriage, replace any/all fasteners, drop the subframes and restore them, etc. Just looking at the bolt/nuts on something like the rear strut lower bolts on this car makes me cringe. I'm sure they would not be a cakewalk to remove...

1972_bmw_bavaria_1622124871cd208491972_bmw_bavaria_1622124870495d565ef66e385be6e8-008a-495a-b951-37ea4075e1c1-8NJDnx-scaled.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back in 2012 I bought a 72 Bavaria, one owner car for $2000. I ended up with a total cost of about 12K to restore it. I have it at 15K for insurance purposes, may have to rethink that. Hagerty and Grundy must be making a lot of cash as we all run to increase our coverage while we have not changed our driving habits.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's pretty much already gone nuts. The combo of record breaking prices for collector cars these days coming out of COVID and a very special Bavaria. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it will do $60k.
Well, it broke $50k with 2 days left. The real action usually occurs with less than an hour to go by serious bidders that know that bidding earlier in the auction is just bidding against yourself. My guess of $60k is going to be low, but I won't even try to guess by how much.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
^ +1

I agree. Frankly, I could see north of $60K if the underside detail matched the shiny side. There will be a flurry of activity in the last 20 minutes by the parties willing
to pay that much for the privilege of bringing this car up a bit more. Like they say, you never pay too much, just too soon. Every E3 owner will rejoice at the result.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
^ +1

I agree. Frankly, I could see north of $60K if the underside detail matched the shiny side. There will be a flurry of activity in the last 20 minutes by the parties willing
to pay that much for the privilege of bringing this car up a bit more. Like they say, you never pay too much, just too soon. Every E3 owner will rejoice at the result.
Actually, I think the opposite. If the underside, engine compartment, etc. was not left mostly original, there wouldn't be the frenzy we are seeing. It would still sell for very good money, but not what an original, low miles car brings. The new owner is certainly free to take the mechanicals apart, detail them to stock specs (even beyond), but I don't think that will happen to this one. It's the originality that is bringing the big and early bids. The car is likely going to go to someone who values the originality over a restored undercarriage.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Detailing the undercarriage, not restoring it. Dry ice blasting by a good technician does wonders without altering OG finishes. ;)

Small brushes and cleaner where needed. I'm a dedicated practitioner of "sympathetic" restoration for examples like this.

CSBM5

Reaction score
Detailing the undercarriage, not restoring it. Dry ice blasting by a good technician does wonders without altering OG finishes. ;)

Small brushes and cleaner where needed. I'm a dedicated practitioner of "sympathetic" restoration for examples like this.

I agree. I would think it would make sense at the 50 year mark to dry ice blast it, carefully, and attend to any problem areas that come to light. Then again, in this market if it continues to stay red hot on fire, buy this thing, do no maintenance, enjoy it for 9 months and then back to BaT next spring? o_O (or conversely, top tick the trillions in free money inflation rate peak, and buy at the top of the market like an early 911 circa 2012-13). It seems to be "the thing" recently where many years of future potential appreciation is brought forward to the present over 18 months or less time and then flat lines to down for many years afterward (i.e. look at something like a 1970 911S where it tripled in value from Sep 2012 to Sep 2014 and has been trending downward for the past 7 years).