• Tapatalk is being removed immediately. There are security issues and there is no justification for having it anymore. I apolgize to those die-hard Tapatalk users but you'll need to start using the forums mobile version instead.

E3 trunk lock and key

billpatterson

Reaction score
Hi

I am working on getting a trunk lock rekeyed. I have reached out to the local BMW dealer and Santa Monica Lock. No replies yet... So in the meantime, I would like to find a trunk lock and key...just in case. I don't mind different ignition and trunk keys.

Regards
Bill

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just bought a new E9 one from my dealer (with 20% discount and no shipping charge!) and it looks like the E3 one is also still available, PN 51241801453. Cheaper than the E9 one. I think it's amazing that one can still get this type of part for such an old car. It's only a matter of time before they go away, along with many other non-essential parts.

billpatterson

Reaction score
Hi Luis
It truly is. Yup...the local bimmer dealer is an option...thinking used is less expensive. I do like ordering new bits from the local dealer too cuz no shipping! At list there's a few backups in play; rekeying and new.

Regards
Bill

billpatterson

Reaction score
Hi there,

Thanks for the contact info!

I talked to Mike at Santa Monica Locks and recoding the trunk lock for some reason is near impossible to do; the door and ignition are no problem oddly enough. Mike said, the 'trunk locks rarely work out and when they do they just don't work right'. So I provided him the code and he is making me 2 trunk lock keys. it is a bit costly...oh well.

Regards
Bill