E3 Wagon!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe that there is at least one other Kombi around, someone on here posted about theirs and it is a different one. They were going to restore it to it's glory days. I'm almost 100% sure. It was a pit car back in the day, blue and white I believe if my fading memory serves me right. I'll try and find the link.

Yup, here it is: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/e3-kombi.33041/

Roundel: how is this coming along? I see you state yours is the "last" one. I get it, I say my original Golf paint e3 is one of 2 "known" in N. America but I'm sure there are more hidden in barns or owned by someone not into C&C's or going to shows etc. regardless, the Kombi is no doubt a rare bird. Maybe some updated restoration pics?

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
The E3 Wagon at the top (bmw 2800cs post) was a conversion done in the UK, from memory they did about 12 cars, although nice looking, these were not factory cars.

The car shown by Alex "Roundel" is one of only three real E3 Kombi's made by the factory as team cars, used extensively by the race mechanics for the important early racing years of BMW Motorsport, a few years later they went to Peugeot's which the mechanics said were terrible .

According to the people in the know, ie, the original mechanics, this Kombi "Roundel" has is the only one of the three team cars and therefore the only original BMW Kombi's left in existence.

Here are two of them outside BMWs workshop in 1972
15063227-5170-4099-95DC-38DD14B32457.jpeg

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The E3 Wagon at the top (bmw 2800cs post) was a conversion done in the UK, from memory they did about 12 cars, although nice looking, these were not factory cars.

The car shown by Alex "Roundel" is one of only three real E3 Kombi's made by the factory as team cars, used extensively by the race mechanics for the important early racing years of BMW Motorsport, a few years later they went to Peugeot's which the mechanics said were terrible .

According to the people in the know, ie, the original mechanics, this car "Roundel" has is the only one of the three team cars and therefore only original BMW Kombi's left in existence.

Here are two of them outside BMWs workshop in 1972 View attachment 118238
Cool pic! Good Info. What happened to Roundel and his updates?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pete, the BMW mechanics got it right about the Peugeot's being "terrible." Even more terrible the most terrible British car ever made. Owned one in the 70's, briefly, and have two unbelievable but true stories.