E3 Wheel color

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My idea of the perfect wheel treatment for an E3 is the low end steel wheels with hub caps and trim rings. Somehow that is THE classic look for these cars (to me). Although my Bavaria came with some fancy aluminum wheels, I NEEDED to change. I was able to find some pretty nice hub caps and trim rings early on in the project. Sooner provided the wheels. When I refurbished them, I painted them black. All steel wheels are black aren't they o_O.

Well, they aren't. One of them many things I'm learning doing this project. The steel wheels on E3s (and on the 2002s) are argent/silver. I repainted them this week. The wheels (and car) do look much better to me with the wheel color change.

Before...

IMG_4293.jpeg

After...

IMG_4294.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've always used Krylon Dull Aluminum for my steel wheels. Couldn't find it at the store and had to order it last time.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep Krylon Dull Aluminum was the go to back in the day. Also had to order mine but glad thry still make it

kkro

Reaction score
My idea of the perfect wheel treatment for an E3 is the low end steel wheels with hub caps and trim rings. Somehow that is THE classic look for these cars (to me). Although my Bavaria came with some fancy aluminum wheels, I NEEDED to change. I was able to find some pretty nice hub caps and trim rings early on in the project. Sooner provided the wheels. When I refurbished them, I painted them black. All steel wheels are black aren't they o_O.

Well, they aren't. One of them many things I'm learning doing this project. The steel wheels on E3s (and on the 2002s) are argent/silver. I repainted them this week. The wheels (and car) do look much better to me with the wheel color change.

Before...

View attachment 91966

After...

View attachment 91967

View attachment 91968
That made a fantastic difference in overall look. Now it looks fabulous!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had an original spare to go by that I matched to and I'd agree that the finish was not shiny...not metallic. I used a silver/argent paint with a satin sheen VHT wheel paint. It is probably dull enough to pass muster.

48262.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That made a fantastic difference in overall look. Now it looks fabulous!
Thanks. The black is boring. The silver gives the wheel depth and the appearance of a greater wheel diameter (important with these little 14" wheels. ;) )

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks. The black is boring. The silver gives the wheel depth and the appearance of a greater wheel diameter (important with these little 14" wheels. ;) )
I think it looks good. I just did my spare 2002 wheel in Wurth Silver, looks great, just needed to knock down the roughness with some 600 grit.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think it looks good. I just did my spare 2002 wheel in Wurth Silver, looks great, just needed to knock down the roughness with some 600 grit.
Try a maroon Scotch Brite. About the same as 600 but easier to get in all the nooks and crannies. You might even try a grey Scotch Brite. Finer than a maroon and it might do the job.

kkro

Reaction score
Hi guys. Could anyone of you please confirm what is the correct factory steel wheel that fits the chrome rings discussed in this thread?

What is the correct width? 5,5inches or 6,0inches?

What is the correct design to actually fit the chrome rings and covers?

Are these the right ones?
Screenshot_20200510-230241.png

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think all E3 steel wheels are 6" wide (my knowledge of E3s is limited and there may be exceptions)

That looks like the right one to me. Here's one of mine...

IMG_3704.jpeg

ThaddeusW

Site Donor
Reaction score
The silver on the steelies looks perfect to me. I was planning to paint mine black until I saw this thread.
What is the right paint brand and color for engine parts? Planning silver for the aluminum bits and black for the case. I'd also like to repaint the air intake if I can find the matching color.

ThaddeusW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Engine block looks best in satin black. I wouldn’t paint intake parts and such with paint as it can absorb the oil and dirt over time.
Thanks. Does the same apply to all aluminum parts? Im thinking of the timing chain covers, water pump, oil pan. If not, what is the right color? The Argent silver mentioned above or more like a flat aluminum?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For aluminum parts I think the best approach is to have them tumbled in media and then clear matte ceramic coated, brand name is Cerakote, very easy to spray with a finish gun.