E9 CS 3.0 alpina

Fonzy_75

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
In 1980 my dad voy a beautifull 3.0 CS Alpina. Unfortunatelly few years later the engine blew up and due to the fact it is a very special Car se stored it (not un the proper way) and now I am considering to find someone to bring it back to Life.
I live in Zaragoza (Spain)...So if you know anyone who might be interested on working on it in a professional way, please let me know it.
Thanks un avance!!

Attachments

• IMG_20170321_231956.jpg
    IMG_20170321_231956.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 420

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Fonzy!

DeQuincy is our spanish e9 expert. I'm sure he can point you towards some domestic options.

Not that I doubt your assertion, but what leads you to believe that this is an Alpina car? Most of the Alpina cars were CSL-based. Do you have any motor and interior pics that you are willing to share? I'm excited to see more!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Fonzy,

There should be a VIN plate just behind the passenger side strut cap. Also, the stamped VIN is on the firewall way up top near the hood seal on the passenger side. The numbers face the windscreen.

Okay I will play, here is what I see so far.

Interior / Exterior:
The fabrics seats match a CSL foam pattern, but they don't use CSL fabric
The shoulder belt seems like a one-off installation (judging by location).
CSL or CSL/Style Flares
CSL Style real bumper
CSL style paint job in the front (all black)
Early door panels
No hood support

Motor etc.
High compression little piano top pistons
Early brake booster (perhaps to help with Weber fitment)
Triple Webers with Weber airboxes and version 1970Alpina stickers (carb and crankshaft)
Three piece unknown manifold

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Based on your VIN you have one of the first 169 true lightweight 1971 carbureted CSLs, they built 23 from 2211537-2211559. Paint code 02 is Colorado. Hopefully you can bring it back to life! Share more pics when you can.

Exciting!

What kind of carbs came on the CSL?

Fonzy_75

Reaction score
My dad told me it was aluminun made, but I found it Rusty and when I saw it says 3.0 CS I thought he was wrong.
So it is a CSL!
Thanks for the info!

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm no No CSL expert, but I believe the aluminium parts are just the door skins, hood (=bonnet) & boot lid (=deck lid = trunk lid). In the places where I see rust in your pictures (behind front wheel, Battery tray) there is steel also in genuine CSL cars. In CSL cars however, the steel panel thickness was thinner in some places. E.g. a genuine front fender is 0.7mm on a CSL, whereas a "normal" CS uses 0.8 mm steel thickness.
BMW is able to provide you with some more details, if you email them a picture of the VIN number.

Enjoy the process your going through; i know we are!

Erik.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
This appears to be an extraordinary car. Keep it just as it is until you make any decisions. The best move right now is learn,learn,learn and watch out for sharks!

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ask Alpina about this car. Speaking for myself, I would love to see pictures but be careful with information. That's the way it is, unfortunately. Find out who the good guys are before any move. It appears to be one of the most compelling BMWs to surface in recent times.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
If it truly is a Alpina Lightweight CSL, it's worth big dollars even in the current condition.
The problem is, indeed, to find someone who knows how to properly restore a unique car like this. It will no doubt be expensive, 100k€ or even much more if you want it done to perfection.
But considering the last e9 Alpina for sale went for $415k, if I remember correctly, it's justifiable if you have the funds.

Very nice and interesting find, I'm almost jealous!:p

Cheers,

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That manifold looks exactly like mine on my Alpina equipped engine. Alpina has the serial number of the cars they produced. This could be a very valuable car you have there. Will need a huge restoration, but if it is what it looks like, you are in the money.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score