E9 tear down help

hj9

Reaction score
Hello all, i'm in the process of stripping my car and all that remains is the headliner and wiring harness.

I wanted to know how to remove the chrome window seals- not for the windshield, but the chrome trim beneath the drip rail that acts as a guide for the front and rear glass. If anyone has pictures or instruction that would be great. I have been avoiding this for a while in fear of destroying the rubber.

Thanks.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi there,
Do you mean the ones in the red arrows?
F94D255E-B638-4B8D-9B98-43C91CFB2719.jpeg

hj9

Reaction score
not the drip rail itself, but the chrome panel, it holds the rubber gasket. If that makes any sense?

Attachments

• e9 headliner removal.jpeg
    e9 headliner removal.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 199

hj9

Reaction score
This panel

Attachments

• 20181120_151237_HDR.jpg
    20181120_151237_HDR.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 20181120_151310.jpg
    20181120_151310.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 193

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
You need to push the gasket forward/down, the gasket has a soft plastic strip at the back, which goes into the slot in the chrome "panel".
Only after you have removed the gasket by pushing it forward (or prying it out since it's probably stuck there) you'll be able to remove the chrome "panel", which in turn is attached to the body with, IIRC, pop rivets behind the gasket.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine had screws similar to most of the trim on the car. So far the only trim rivers that I have encountered area on the interior aluminum door jamb trim.

View attachment 56874

You are probably correct, Markos. My car had been disassembled in the past, so that's probably why I had pop rivets and not screws there. Or it's simply my memory that's failing:oops:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You are probably correct, Markos. My car had been disassembled in the past, so that's probably why I had pop rivets and not screws there. Or it's simply my memory that's failing:oops:

They have all been disassembled in the past. :) My parts car had quite a few oddities. We need two more people to chime in with the fastener info. :D

hj9

Reaction score
Ahh, much appreciated.

I was afraid of even touching the gasket worried it would break.

Yes mine is secured with fasteners as well.

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just removed these chrome pieces from my car today and they were all held in place with screws. Anyone have any hints on how to remove the headliner header panel? I can't seem to figure out how it's attached in the middle.

Thanks,

Jake

hj9

Reaction score
I just removed these chrome pieces from my car today and they were all held in place with screws. Anyone have any hints on how to remove the headliner header panel? I can't seem to figure out how it's attached in the middle.

Thanks,

Jake
Remove the screws holding in the dome light and the visors. The reverse mirror is held in by a clip If i remember correctly, I will double check in the evening. There are rivets holding retainers around the headliner trim

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As mentioned the upper window chrome trim is held in by screws. And they are really, really, really small so take care not to lose them, which is easily done!

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks all. i figured it out and got the headliner out. Next is the sunroof.

=)

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sunroof is easy.

Open sunroof far enough to,

Pull clips at front of sunroof towards the floor.

while holding down push headliner towards rear of the car.

Unscrew the knurled nut height adjustment brackets, don't adjust the knurled nuts.

Unscrew the rear brackets.

pull freed panel towards the front of the car & lift out the panel.

That's it.