e9 w e46 m3 drivetrain at autokennel

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great looking car; nicely detailed. I guess that if I have to ask how much, then I can't afford it. Maybe I missed it. I learned that lesson the hard way when I was maybe six, at a Rolls dealer in Indianapolis...that's what the sales "gentleman" told me. Mom had to hold me to keep me from giving him a shin-kick that he would have remembered.
Its another thing to be like my brother in law, who says "I'm not being an asshole, I just don't know"...

tmh

Reaction score
I wonder how much chassis strengthening was done. I also wonder what the fabrication and labor cost would be for a quality installation. Could it be done in 200 hours? As a CPA I am always looking at what I am buying as material and labor costs. I would think such a project would be at least $15,000-$20,000, not including the engine and transmission.

The S54 is an amazing engine. I would think an N52 engine would be an ideal power plant for the CS Coupe at 255HP. My Z4 3 liter 6 speed coupe is the fastest car I had owned until I bought the Z4M coupe. The throttle response on the S54 is so sharp you have to make an effort to shift smoothly. All of you CS owners would love the driving characteristics of the Z4 coupes. They are as rare as CS coupes.

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder how much chassis strengthening was done. I also wonder what the fabrication and labor cost would be for a quality installation. Could it be done in 200 hours? As a CPA I am always looking at what I am buying as material and labor costs. I would think such a project would be at least $15,000-$20,000, not including the engine and transmission.

The S54 is an amazing engine. I would think an N52 engine would be an ideal power plant for the CS Coupe at 255HP. My Z4 3 liter 6 speed coupe is the fastest car I had owned until I bought the Z4M coupe. The throttle response on the S54 is so sharp you have to make an effort to shift smoothly. All of you CS owners would love the driving characteristics of the Z4 coupes. They are as rare as CS coupes.
Mike Miller has said that there will never be another M engine that is as much fun or reliable as the normally aspirated S54 straight six (333 HP before chipping) so a good choice here. Only 1801 Z4 M coupes in North America, 4507 worldwide.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great looking car; nicely detailed. I guess that if I have to ask how much, then I can't afford it. Maybe I missed it. I learned that lesson the hard way when I was maybe six, at a Rolls dealer in Indianapolis...that's what the sales "gentleman" told me. Mom had to hold me to keep me from giving him a shin-kick that he would have remembered.
Its another thing to be like my brother in law, who says "I'm not being an asshole, I just don't know"...
I think there is much more to this story.....

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
My DD is an e46 M3, which I am borderline fanatical about. I've had the same experience as others with the S54, it's an amazing engine.
When searching for my entry point to e9 ownership, I daydreamed about this car a lot. It has the style and presence of an e9, but the drivetrain and power of a modern M3. Both things I love. I even tracked down and spoke to some of the people involved in the build - all extremely knowledgeable and top tier at what they do. I'm sure it is a one of a kind experience and it sounds like they didn't spare an expense on the build.

@tmh another guy down in Australia did the same engine swap and restoration, it was discussed a couple years ago here. That guy quoted approx 700 hours for the whole project: https://silodrome.com/custom-bmw-e9/
Hard to know if you had a fully sorted e9 and just wanted to swap the engine and transmission how long it would take, sounds like a lot of modification to the tunnel was needed too.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think this is the first auction/sale I've ever seen the "VIN withheld to protect against fraud". Maybe I don't pay attention to this enough, but frankly it makes me suspect fraud. :oops:

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris is right about Paul/Autokennel and the VIN. This is a real car, I haloed out with the car to a small degree and know the build and owner.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Roger that. I didn't intend to cast doubt. I guess I am conditioned by all of the BaT auctions (even Porsches), CCA listings, and eBay listings (at least the listing for my car). They all include the VINs, to the extent I thought that was just part of listing a classic car. I see now that is not always the case.

skk

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the S54 reliable? Google the following terms before answering:

S54 Vanos seals
S54 Vanos exhaust hub tabs
S54 flattened cam followers
S54 rod bearings
SMG failure

I still love my e46 m3 on the occasions that it's running.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the S54 reliable? Google the following terms before answering:

S54 Vanos seals
S54 Vanos exhaust hub tabs
S54 flattened cam followers
S54 rod bearings
SMG failure

I still love my e46 m3 on the occasions that it's running.
If i read the add correctly, then it states that the Vanos was already rebuilt twice, so yeah, what to think about that? is it now fixed, or do these things really die every 3 years and should we consider them wear & tear like a brake pad or oil change?

tmh

Reaction score
The later S54's, at least the 2006-2008, have improved Vanos and rod bearings. They are not unreliable engines by any means. Addressing rod bearings and Vanos as an eventual maintenance issue is not a major cost (and not a minor cost either) for a high level of performance and otherwise very reliable engine.
There is a reason such a transplant in a CS is extremely rare, and it isn't because of potential maintenance issues.