E9 Wiper motor is finicky

73WhiteE9

Reaction score
What does this sound like? My wiper motor only works on intermmtant, not continuous. I have changed out the switch and get the same result. I feel its the motor but wondered if anyone had a stronger feeling than that.

Much appreciated

Mark

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Remove motor and it's back cover to clean the contacts. Mine sometimes won't shut off but the cleaning seems to have worked. I had thought it was the relay but changed that too.

axco

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since the motor does work and the intermittent wipe feature is controlled by the wiper relay I would focus on the this relay. I had a similar experience on my car. In my case I removed the relay and by shaking it I could hear something loose in there. I opened it up and sure enough a rivet which holds the solenoid in place was busted and the loose parts were creating havoc among the spate terminals at the bottom of the relay.

axco

Site Donor
Reaction score
On my car, a 1972 3.0 CSi, in the fuse panel area on the left inner fender wall. It's a black box 1 1/4-in wide x 2 1/2-in tall and 2-in deep. The writing on the relay is Wisch-Wasch-Intervall-Steuergerät. It has a 6 spate terminal on the connector plug and one external spate terminal. It's mounted vertical and simply pulls out (towards the steering column) from the mounting bracket. I found my replacement relay on eBay for $95. You also see a picture of the relay there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221271860078?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649