e9s by alpina

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
is there any solid knowledge out there ? only guessing ?

this one not an alpina, but this advert hit me in the eye (pre-production protopypes ???)

1618845463467.png

i have read incomplete stories, not always clearly tracked from original documents, part of those stories might be true, part only wishes from nervous owners to see if their car´s pedigree can add some figures to their asking prices when selling their cars

i have seen alpina plaques with sort of serial numbers in some dashboards

was it true that alpina converted some e9s back in the days in their facilities? or was it that alpina parts were send in boxes to e9 owners so they could convert their cars individually using those parts ? or are both things true ?

a recent conversation with a friend developed part of a suposedly true story that says that records have been found of 25 BMW 3,0 CSL that were converted in Buchloe, also the conversation suggests that there might be more than just 25 as the records were still handwritten at that time and perhaps a particular vehicle was not recorded

does anyone have more information ?

regards

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @deQuincey,

A little bit of info to get you started. I would post more if I felt comfortable, but I am not an Alpina expert.

The car listed above isn’t an Alpina. It is “just”, a standard carb CSL. The first 169 weren’t prototypes either. They were normal production cars released before the d-jet motor got through the red tape. Despite the word “prototype”, I don’t think that car was advertised as an Alpina. The car has been listed in the cars section of this forum.

There are quite a few Alpina experts, but unless the car was sent directly to Alpina or are very well known, there doesn’t seem to be great info on the number B2 conversions. You can request info from Alpina. It gets even dicier when you see e9’s that were converted in the late 70’s and have the Alpina stripes and late 70’s parts. The gold & black plaques didn’t start until around 1979.

Alpina did convert cars in Europe. Up until they became an OEM, they also worked with third party companies outside of Europe to perform conversions. These companies bought, sold, and installed Alpina parts on customer cars.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score

EastsideM3 owns at least two converted cars--an e9 and an E3. If you read through this thread, as of 2010 there were few if any records recovered from Alpina itself, although some cars survive with paperwork showing their conversion at the Alpina facility. As early as 1971.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
What about cars which customers brought to authorized Alpina concessionaires such as Miller and Norburn and Beaconwood in MA? These folks sold and installed Alpina equipment and if your pockets were deep enough you could get a full B2. Engine upgrade along with an Alpina differential, suspension, ZF CR gearbox and Alpina interior. To me, these cars are Alpina’s too, albeit not factory converted.

Did many CSL owners upgrade their cars in this manner?

John

IMSA-CSL

Reaction score
My BMW was produced in december 71 and have been exported to Austria.
BMW documention does not show it has gone to ALPINA.
But ALPINA found out that the car came directly after production into their factory until March 72.
First registration in Austria in March 1972.

In these days people a lot of people were unhappy... when new models of BMW with more ccm and more hp arrived and their cars were no longer the top version. ALPINA oftend filled that gap with high performance aftermarket parts.

What is a real ALPINA or not... everyone has a his own point of view. It is important what you like.

Personally I like the real old stuff. I don't like the perfect nut to bolt better than new restorations, because a lot of the history gets broken.

But I accept that other people don't like that.

Best regards

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If happiness depends on what others have maybe a shrink can be cheaper than ALPINA bits :).

In these days people a lot of people were unhappy... when new models of BMW with more ccm and more hp arrived and their cars were no longer the top version. ALPINA oftend filled that gap with high performance aftermarket parts.