EAA info

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone out there a member of EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association)? I am looking for info on going to the Oskosh fly in this summer, am hoping someone with experience can help me with local info such as where to stay, etc. You can email me at [email protected]. Any help appreciated.
Dan

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Dan -- I am not a member, but grew up in the area. If you are seeking a hotel for one person, I like Appleton, which is about 30 minutes from Oshkosh. The Kohler club in Sheboygan is supposed to be world class, and its about an hour away. And if you are willing to travel an hour there are a bunch of places in Germantown, Pewaukee and Waukesha that are easy trips to Oshkosh.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan, assuming you have a vehicle, or access to one, check out VRBOs or local rental agencies in quieter but charming Green Lake, which is a nice drive west from the crowds at Oshkosh. Planes will be flying above the lake all during that week; we did that one weekend by accident a couple of years ago. Also (in addition to the American Club at Kohler), The Osthoff near Elkhart Lake, which has the bonus of being within hearing distance of Road America, and you could check the schedule to see what event is happening that weekend or not. If you're not averse to driving, and you like food and beer, stay in Milwaukee and drive up and back. The Iron Horse or the Pfister for hotel, and anywhere in the Third Ward or Kinnickinnick Street for amazing food.

Luis should chime in, too...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My brother and his buddy go on flying trips together about once a year. His buddy keeps two folding electric scooters in the plane. They get around pretty good in those. Of course you always have Uber.

The Oshkosh airshow is quite spectacular!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My wife and I go up to the AirVenture event about every other year. I'll second all of ablank135's recommendations - particularly highlighting a stay in Elkhart Lake, home of Road America. I don't think the timing works out, but if one of the vintage events were at RA that same week, it would be a very special trip. Of course, the accommodations are plentiful in Milwaukee (and a lot more to do when you are not in Oshkosh). It is about an hour fifteen or so drive. Great food opportunities in Bay View, too.

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, looking more for info on the event itself, parking distance from the displays, how many warbirds are there rather than just experimental home made aircraft, that sort of thing. Actually I lived in Plymouth for seven years back in the seventies (yeah, I am that old), worked for an outdoor power equipment manufacturer (Gilson, long gone) designing mowers and such. Company had the concession to mow the Road America properties so saw a few good practice sessions, very good times. Would love to stay in Elkhart but kind of doubt they have accommodations at this point. Anyone actually going this year, maybe we could get together for a beer or six and tell some car lies?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hundreds of war birds there last year. While we were here we were getting buzzed by a B1 bomber - oh the sound!!!. Lots of older military planes. There was an entire area just for P-51 mustangs - had to be at least a dozen or so. B-25s, B-52s... A day is not enough if you want to get around and see everything. My wife can usually only stand about half a day, so I end up seeing about a quarter of what is there.