Early E24's also built by Karmann

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very interesting, had no idea these things were built there after the E9's. Anyone know how many years this happened? My 1981 was not.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yep, as i remember, karmann built the e24 until sometime in the early 80's. probably 83 or 84 (perhaps when the car shared e28 elements instead of e12. i could easily be wrong ... but that's what my old man memory has to offer.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No nameplate on a 1981 633. Intrigued.
IMG_20200818_214214118.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coupes were built at the factory in Rheine which is in Osnabruck as well as the e24, probably series 1, this needs some research though as the Wiki says through 1989. The 2000C/CS Type 120 bodies however were built by Karmann but they were assembled solely in the Munich-Milbertshofen factory. This was because the Munich factory was at full capacity building the Neue Klasse sedans.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i heard the same thing back in the day that the 88 / 89 were built at BMW ... anybody know when they started making the m6 and L6 ... seems to be around 1987. that could be a good time and would correspond with the s38 for the m5 / m6

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is great specimen given the no rust condition. I owned the one in the picture, 1977 Euro 633CSi with an M90 and a sweet 4-speed manual transmission that I have no idea what it was but it was the best. You can see what the New York State provenance did in terms of rust after just 9 years on the road. It was fun to drive, an endless 3rd gear, and felt much lighter than my 87 E24. Get the one on BAT and do a 4-speed conversion...

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 129

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That is great specimen given the no rust condition. I owned the one in the picture, 1977 Euro 633CSi with an M90 and a sweet 4-speed manual transmission that I have no idea what it was but it was the best. You can see what the New York State provenance did in terms of rust after just 9 years on the road. It was fun to drive, an endless 3rd gear, and felt much lighter than my 87 E24. Get the one on BAT and do a 4-speed conversion...
I absolutely love the rare 70's color options on these including this one, it would be fun to take one to the next level with HP and a manual. This one will probably climb out of reach but fun to think about.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score

Interesting that it felt lighter, the series 2 e28 based coupe's were a good 150kg or so lighter than the earlier E12 based models!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It may be apples an oranges. The 77 had the M90 and was Euro with light bumpers, etc. The 87 is automatic with the US M30, has all the US stuff like refrigerator in between rear seats and doors felt way heavier.

Interesting that it felt lighter, the series 2 e28 based coupe's were a good 150kg or so lighter than the earlier E12 based models!

Philippe db

Reaction score
Very interesting, had no idea these things were built there after the E9's. Anyone know how many years this happened? My 1981 was not.

Karman build the E24 (630 Cs & 633Csi) from November 1975 to August 1977. Build quality was unacceptable and that is why the final assembly from that moment on was done by BMW itself in its Dingolfing factory. The only thing left at Karmann was the assembly and painting of the bodyshells.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Karman build the E24 (630 Cs & 633Csi) from November 1975 to August 1977. Build quality was unacceptable and that is why the final assembly from that moment on was done by BMW itself in its Dingolfing factory. The only thing left at Karmann was the assembly and painting of the bodyshells.
Do you have a reference?