Eberspächer gas heater

frogish

Reaction score
When I bought my 2800cs -69, in one of the boxes was an Eberspächer.
Were these a common optional on the E9 or is it completely aftermarket?

Does anyone know the worth of such thing? I cannot find a pic of an E9 with one mounted.

Thanks!
IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Option on the e23 euro models.
They won’t ship repair parts to USA.
Wired into the OBC so you can warm the car up before the morning commute.
Woe to anyone who leaves the car in the garage below their bedroom.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It looks like a jet pack. I think you strap it to the outside of the car, and hit a red button when you want to fire the afterburner. :D

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
My '91 850i had that "rare" option … auxiliary heater. Those were Webasto. Of course there is also a auxiliary electric water & fuel pump ... even a exhaust with silencer … For that there is a extra batterie …. and a second alternator ! It first warms the engine and second the cabin heater …
Can be lux in cold regions … but not in Belgium , sure not when car sleeps in a garage . So i removed the complete package ... pump,many hoses and clamps could only make the risk on a water leak much higher. Not to speak of a " benzin" burner in your car …. :eek: ( on diesel .. yes)

SAM_2592.JPG

Frogish example is a air heater , not water , so more simple , but still on "benzin" . That or ,more on diesel ,are common used in boats and trucks.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My '91 850i had that "rare" option … auxiliary heater. Those were Webasto. Of course there is also a auxiliary electric water & fuel pump ... even a exhaust with silencer … For that there is a extra batterie …. and a second alternator ! It first warms the engine and second the cabin heater …
Can be lux in cold regions … but not in Belgium , sure not when car sleeps in a garage . So i removed the complete package ... pump,many hoses and clamps could only make the risk on a water leak much higher. Not to speak of a " benzin" burner in your car …. :eek: ( on diesel .. yes)

View attachment 64340

Frogish example is a air heater , not water , so more simple , but still on "benzin" . That or ,more on diesel ,are common used in boats and trucks.
I put the VW Bus model gas heater in my 62 Beetle. The vent was above the passenger's legs in the well. The heater was mounted in the front right against the glove box, but outside the passenger compartment. That baby would heat the passenger compartment in about 30 seconds. My mechanic thought it used more gas than the engine. Scary to think back on what we did when were young, foolish and stupid.

Now I have remote start, park the car outside in winter and toasty warm on the most frigid morning. Even have an app so I can start the car anywhere!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just replaced mine with an original" flux capacitor" I found from some even older guy on CL. Claims to not remember where he got it but there was a signed photo of Michael J Fox on the wall of his garage, hmmm ;)

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those are very common around here (diesel/gas water heaters) they are the best thing ever if you park your car outside in the winter.
I have one in each DD at the moment, just press the remote or use the timer and you have a warm cabin + engine and defrosted windows in 15-20mins.
I use Webasto, but Eber is common as well.

frogish

Reaction score
I always thought it would be cool to place a small subwoofer in the tube and mount the whole thing in the trunk, but i'm guessing it will sound strange in a bare metal tube.