Engine advice

e3Max

Reaction score
Hi all,

My engine in my bav is in bad shape :sad:. Currently has an 84 M30b34 with triple webers. I thought it was running rough because it sat for a bit before I bought it and the carbs were really dirty. The compression tests were poor wet and dry:

1 - 130
2 - 140
3 - 80
4 - 50
5 - 50
6 - 100

Leakdown test resulted in 18-20% leakage down to the oil pan. Cylinder 3 was exhausting out 4, Which cud b a crack or head gasket I assume.

My mechanic recommended finding a rebuilt or lower mileage used engine to save money and time. Could get pricey once we start tearing the current engine in it apart.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to start or knew of a solid used M30b34 or b35 available. I've called around in eastern PA with no luck so far. (Bavarian Specialties, Vac Motorsports, JCL Automotive)

I appreciate any advice, thanks.

61porsche

Reaction score
Craigslist Allentown

has a b34 for sale in your backyard. Vendors like Vac, etc. normally don't sell used. Try a search for BMW engine on searchtempest.com. You have to read the descriptions but I found an M90 and two 3.5s that had low rebuilt miles. Also car-part.com- used parts from breakers and you can search by zip. Shipping a motor is something less than $200 depending upon distance. Check the parts section- Bavman was selling a motor recently that had low rebuilt miles.

I see your numbers, but compression test is also compared wet- a little oil added. I don't see those. Nonetheless, something abnormal is going on.

I definately would check the webers for float levels, etc since leaky carbs can do strange things to compression. Especially the middle one.

I would yank the head and inspect everything. You're going to have to take off most everything to do a swap anyway at sometime. At least you'll know what you've got.

e3Max

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. My brother has been keeping an eye on mye28 since he is always on there looking for stuff for his car. I also looked into the Allentown craigslist engine, but the it has unknown mileage and has been sitting for 2 yrs. I'm checking out the other sites too.

The carbs were just rebuilt in the past two weeks, but I'll have him check the floats. The mechanic I'm working with wants to rip the engine apart because he is curious too, but suggested waiting until I know if i'm going rebuilt or used in case they want an assembled long block for a core.

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Max, Sounds like a good find. Engine should be simple to sort out. You have any pics?

e3Max

Reaction score
IMG_9095.jpg

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9108.jpg

IMG_9114.jpg

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice color; great stance! Doesn't look like a factory color, what is it?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am trying to resist, but the sirens are calling me with their seductive plumbing and promised intake music...

Steve,

Sounds like the beginning of an obsession, fight the urge, don't go over to the dark side!

:)

e3Max

Reaction score
Nice color; great stance! Doesn't look like a factory color, what is it?

The description when I bought the car said Mercedes Oyster Green Metallic. The car was painted in the mid 90s and from what I can tell, it appears to be the green used on Acuras, Hondas and Izuzus from that period. They did a good job of repainting it right, but now almost 20 years later it needs some touching up.

The car sits on Bilsteins and Suspension Techniques. I lowered the back end a bit a few months ago. Quick job of moving the spring perch down. It was 2 inches higher when I got it, now has a more level stance.

The sound from the carbs is music to my ears! True, they are more to maintain (cost/time/tuning) than fuel injection, but I wouldn't change a thing. I might change my tune if this was a daily driver.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Exactly what I wanted to hear (and my wife not)!

The sound from the carbs is music to my ears! True, they are more to maintain (cost/time/tuning) than fuel injection, but I wouldn't change a thing. I might change my tune if this was a daily driver.

TodB

Reaction score
bav

Man I love that car. Still waiting to see another pic with the yellowish 2002. Don't you dare go fuel injection!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, In my limited seat time in my car I found that the Alpina intake is quite an intake noise muffler. The car has minimal roar. I haven't had it near redline yet though. Hopefully when and if it runs right, it will have some of that Weber music.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Want to trade? :mrgreen:

Steve, In my limited seat time in my car I found that the Alpina intake is quite an intake noise muffler. The car has minimal roar. I haven't had it near redline yet though. Hopefully when and if it runs right, it will have some of that Weber music.