Engine paint colors

Lenoxx

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct paint colors and sheen for repainting the orange oil filter can, air filter housing and engine block for a carbureted 72 CS?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Usually filter housing stays original on the inside. I cleaned up a spot, had matching 2k paint made.

Lenoxx

Site Donor
Reaction score
Usually filter housing stays original on the inside. I cleaned up a spot, had matching 2k paint made.
Thanks. I'll see what the paint store can come up with. I'm still a bit curious if anyone knows the actual BMW colors. And the oil dipstick too. I plastidipped it yellow, but I think it is supposed to be red?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t have the oil can paint code, I doubt anyone does, but I took mine to a powdercoater and we picked the closest color. I think Christoph at CS-werk.de has the sticker or stencil for it. Dip stick is red, I just bought Testors model paint since you need so little. The closest color match for a carb air cleaner is RAL 7043, I have powdercoated these, it lasts longer. D-jet is RAL 7022. Neither is perfect but pretty close.

Lenoxx

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t have the oil can paint code, I doubt anyone does, but I took mine to a powdercoater and we picked the closest color. I think Christoph at CS-werk.de has the sticker or stencil for it. Dip stick is red, I just bought Testors model paint since you need so little. The closest color match for a carb air cleaner is RAL 7043, I have powdercoated these, it lasts longer. D-jet is RAL 7022. Neither is perfect but pretty close.
Awesome. Thanks for the help. I called a guy I know at BMW and he said he will try to find out what shade of orange. I'll post if I ever figure it out.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I call it red, not orange BTW, but it definitely has some orange to it. If someone at BMW has an answer it will be the first time ever! Same for subframe color.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 183

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dip stick is red, I just bought Testors model paint since you need so little.

I’m pretty sure that both dipsticks on my e9’s are/were yellow. I’m guessing that you typed red but meant yellow.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Re: air filter housings- I have seen some in machinery gray and some semigloss black. Did it vary according to year and market?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I call it red, not orange BTW, but it definitely has some orange to it. If someone at BMW has an answer it will be the first time ever! Same for subframe color.
well, you're kinda both right - the classic term is red-orange ... its a tertiary color

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
were not the 2800 cs air filter housings done in a semi gloss black the 3.0 lt and on were RAL 7043 which is a gray / blue
the early 2800cs air housing was not black ... kind of a dark green-gray. these are pics from an early one that i sold.

air filter - bottom.jpg

air filter - detail.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My original 72 air cleaner is olive green not grey which was on my 73. Dipstick is yellow :)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Luis A. did stencils of these, perhaps he knows the housing color, I know it's been discussed

Does anyone know the correct paint colors and sheen for repainting the orange oil filter can, air filter housing and engine block for a carbureted 72 CS?