engine/transmission swap

Knut

Reaction score
I have a stock engine/trans. in my 3.0csi. I am now looking to for a setup to replace this. Could anybody pls. suggest the best engine/trans. option for a close to "bolt on operation"? Thanks

x_atlas0

Reaction score
It depends on what you want. Do you want the fastest setup possible, or the most economical? Also, do you plan on keeping the original fuel injection?

Malc

Reaction score
Knut,
One "quick" way is to substitute the engine and gearbox from an E28 5 series. There are lots of options regarding engine size (2.5, 2.8, 3.5) etc and 5 speed boxes ("normal", close ratio dog leg box)
the most "major" engineering you might have to do is sort out the length of the prop shaft, and do check the box has a cable port for the speedometer.

Depending on the fuelling and ignition set up you will need to get the FI ignition wiring harnesses, the ECU, the induction system (air mass meter etc)

Setting up a throttle linkage can be a little tricky, but the cheapest option for this type of operation is to buy the WHOLE car your taking the engine and box out of, thus you can rob it of all the parts you need, plus usually this is much cheaper than buying the parts on an individual basis........
Unless your like me who bought a 1986 E28 M535 to do this and I am now driving it
HTH
Malc

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If you want the most power without doing any strange adapter plates or drilling, my sig setup is it. On the old board, I researched extensively to find that the 87 735 and post-87 635s had a M30B35 that doesn't need any adapter plates to bolt into the CS, as long as you use the motor mounts from your old motor.

The M30B35 is better in two big ways over the M30B34, which is what was in the E28s. First, the CR in the US motors is 9.0:1. Next, the M30B35 has larger intake and exhaust valves, so the head flows better. Using the M30B35 also means you get to use the Motronic 1.3 system, so you don't have to find a specific Motronic bellhousing for the transmission. Previous Motronic systems use the flywheel to measure crankshaft position, while the Motronic 1.3 system gets that information from the harmonic balancer behind the crankshaft pulley. Motronic bellhousings are becoming rather scarce, hence the 1.3 system is a bit easier to configure.